My first two dyes: "Thin Lizzy" and "V for Vendetta"

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My first two dyes: "Thin Lizzy" and "V for Vendetta"

Postby BennettUA » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:33 am

After getting all the materials this week and reading extensively on how to properly dye discs, I acetoned the stamp off a used Champion Wraith and set out on what I knew would be a challenging dye. I stuck with one color(black), but I had to deal with some very precise lines, lots of corners, and small margins for error.
I am VERY pleased with the result! The dye took longer to get a dark enough black than I thought -- about twenty minutes, so I guess I didn't use enough Rit. No bleeding or air bubbles at all. The "N" in "Thin" didn't soak in through a very rough scuff mark, but you can only see that when held to the light.

8)
Second dye, thought I'd go even tougher than the Thin Lizzy dye. Starting with used discs so i don't mind if I screw up. This is a Star Valkyrie -- V for Vendetta made simple sense -- V for VALKYRIE!
I did get more small "smear" type bleeds, I think this is from wiping the excess between dyes, I don't know.
This was my first attempt at dual shades of black -- didn't work so well. My first dye was on champion plastic, and therefor took a lot longer to get the black solid enough on the transparent disc. I should've known that on an opaque disc the dye wouldn't take as long to set dark, but live and learn.

Ready for first dip:

OK, this is what I took off for the second, lighter shade of black. This gives a better idea of what I was originally going for. I only left the disc in for 90 seconds, but it took FAR more dye than I expected.

Finished~! You really can't see the two different shades of black without staring up close, but I still think it came out well anyway.

BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: My first two dyes: "Thin Lizzy" and "V for Vendetta"

Postby domromer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 am

Wow the V one is very cool.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby DGjamey » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 pm

both are well done, but the v for vendetta is awesome!
Wraith TeeBird Boss Buzzz Ryno
DGjamey
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby marmoset » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:54 pm

BennettUA wrote:...I only left the disc in for 90 seconds, but it took FAR more dye than I expected...

Your grey that turned out too dark will lighten in 2 or 3 weeks. You'll be a little happier with it in the near future.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby BennettUA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm

marmoset wrote:
BennettUA wrote:...I only left the disc in for 90 seconds, but it took FAR more dye than I expected...

Your grey that turned out too dark will lighten in 2 or 3 weeks. You'll be a little happier with it in the near future.

That would be great! Still, I'm happy with it whether it softens or not. Still glides like a bird!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:38 pm

marmoset wrote:Your grey that turned out too dark will lighten in 2 or 3 weeks. You'll be a little happier with it in the near future.

Yup. It's easier to shade gray if you have a separate pan of less-concentrated RIT. The lighter the concentration, the more room for error and timing issues. Still looks great, though!
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby mobster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:49 pm

F'ing Awesome Dyes!
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby BennettUA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm

marmoset wrote:

You were right, marmoset! The gray has faded out a bit, especially the lighter gray. I'll take a pic tonight and post.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork