How to remove weight & disc "pen" ink from back of discs????

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to remove weight & disc "pen" ink from back of discs????

Postby BennettUA » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:48 am

I bought a bunch of discs to dye, but I'm having trouble removing the ink in the center of the discs that indicate the disc and the weight. Acetone only took off a little bit.

PLEASE help if you know how to remove this ink! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

"168
BST
"

BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: How to remove weight & disc "pen" ink from back of discs????

Postby rusch_bag » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 am

There has got to be a more effective method,but spin it on your finger for awhile. Mine are almost all gone cause I do that as I wait to throw.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby elnino » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:08 pm

try more acetone....did you add a drop and rub? i have to admit in on champ or star is hard to remove....anything like shower scrub might do the jump but would ruin the look of the clear disc.
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby JohnnyB » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Try hairspray. I use it to get ink off my linoleum from my sons various works of art.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby JimW » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Throw it in a lake and leave it for a few months, that always seems to take it off.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby jnecessary » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 am

rusch_bag wrote:There has got to be a more effective method,but spin it on your finger for awhile. Mine are almost all gone cause I do that as I wait to throw.

same here, haha. I also watch TV and do other boring things around the house with a disc spinnin'.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby sleepy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

Denatured alcohol, which can be found near the paint thinners/solvents in most hardware stores, does a great job removing pen/marker from discs.

That being said, results will vary depending on how long the pen/marker has been on the disc, type of plastic, etc.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Best way to remove permanent ink

Postby Fabellica » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:52 am

After a bunch of research and experimentation, I found the best results for removing permanent pen is to use a dry-erase marker. Heavily color over the permanent pen (in a swirling motion) with the dry-erase marker and then just wipe off with a rag. Sounds too easy to be true, but it works. You will still see some remnants of the marker because the disc is porous and it is impossible to get it all out, but you will be amazed at how well this actually works. The hair-spray trick is ok, but this is much more effective. TRY IT!

~Marco
Fabellica
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flx BuZZZ/Pro Wraith

Re: Best way to remove permanent ink

Postby Roy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Fabellica wrote:After a bunch of research and experimentation, I found the best results for removing permanent pen is to use a dry-erase marker. Heavily color over the permanent pen (in a swirling motion) with the dry-erase marker and then just wipe off with a rag. Sounds too easy to be true, but it works. You will still see some remnants of the marker because the disc is porous and it is impossible to get it all out, but you will be amazed at how well this actually works. The hair-spray trick is ok, but this is much more effective. TRY IT!

~Marco

Interesting....

I alwasy used acetone with mixed results
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 am

Dry erase marker???? Hmm...I'll give that a try on some discs I bought from DGR's that I want the ink off of.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TEX » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 am

Try a Deet skeeter spray, like "OFF". A guy I know accidentally sprayed his disc and some of the ink came "OFF". :lol:
When Life gives you lemon's, make lemonade and share it with someone else.
TEX
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 am

Hey Fritz, try it on some Dx and KC Pro rocs. I'm curious if the dry erase marker will stain the plastic.

I recall seeing this technique used to remove sharpies from dry erase boards, usually 100% successfully. Really, anything that will redissolve the sharpie ink should work fine. It's the sharpie that has already sunk in the plastic that escapes the clutches of whatever solvent is used.

I always use acetone simply because it doesn't have any dye in it already. I have noticed that a few markings just refuse to come off, including the recorded weight pictured above. I would like to see if the dry erase technique works for those, maybe pick up a marker or two.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Fabellica » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Thats the trick ChUck. The dry-erase marker redisolves the permanent...same as if you were to take another permanent marker and write over the top, it liquifies the old writing. I found the trick when I googled permanent ink removal. It works almost 100% on most other plastic objects!(a good tip if you have kids!) I stay away from acetone because I noticed it seems to actually affect the plastic if left on too long or used too much. I used acetone for dying for a while because of this (it opens up the pores in the plastic), but the color faded way too quickly. If used too much, the pores don't seem to close. It is extremely minimal, but you can feel the difference when you grip the disc...it is much grippier. That may sound good, but a few of my discs flew differently (much more understable) and I am not sure if it was because of the acetone or I just F'd them up somehow during the dye process. If it is just for marker, I doubt that will affect the disc in any way harmful I am sure.

Oh ya...and I didn't have any problems with DX plastic.
~Marco

Modesto ~ KalifornIA
Fabellica
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flx BuZZZ/Pro Wraith

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm

I just tried it on some QJ's I got from Solty that had ink and it faded the ink, but didn't remove it. I think it was cause the ink had been on there so long. But it faded it significantly. That Marker trick is awesome!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 pm

looks like i found something to try tonight instead of study for finals...thanks
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Next

Return to Disc Artwork