Dye pans question

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dye pans question

Postby marmoset » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Does anyone use multiple pans, each dedicated to a family of colors?
Some of my lighter colors have been unsatisfactory recently even though I thoroughly scrub my pan in between runs.
My pan is Teflon coated, if that makes a difference. I am hunting down a non-coated pan to see if there is any change in my colors. I am wondering if the darker dyes are soaking into the Teflon coating and releasing into the lighter colored dyes.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Re: Dye pans question

Postby Paintball1084 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:06 pm

thats not a bad idea!! I personally use the same pan for every color. I clean it really well with soap and i have not had any problems.
Wraith, Striker, Buzzz, VP
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith; buzzz,VP

Postby ChUcK » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I've got a couple of thick-bottomed stainless gems that I can scrub clean and put any color dye in. I found them at the second thrift store I checked, 3.99 each or something like that. definitely less than 10 bucks for the both of them. I guess nobody wanted them because the handles sucked, but I removed them anyways, to lessen the chance of incidental movement of the pan by careless elbows.

I suppose it's possible that the coating is absorbing dye. Scrub it completely clean, as well as you can, and then boil some plain water in it. That'll tell you if the pan is absorbing dye.

I cook a lot, used to do it professionally, and I still have the teflon hatred running strong in my veins. Get rid of that thing!
I have one non-stick pan in my house, for my wife to use when she gets bold enough to attempt cooking.

Oh, and I hope you save the dye between sessions. One box of RIT should last you a long, long time.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby marmoset » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:31 pm

ChUcK wrote:Oh, and I hope you save the dye between sessions. One box of RIT should last you a long, long time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't worry about that! I's a cheap sucka!

Thanks for the input, I have been searching for months for non-non-stick (?!?) pans. Goodwill, YMCA Thrift Store, garage sales, Big Lots, Walmart, college guys who are moving, etc. Either noone has any for me or they are too small.

My next few dyes are all 1 color blacks so I'm fine with what I have... for right now.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:04 pm

I have 2 pans and I try to keep my dark dyes in one of em. But it happens to me too. My blood red that used to be super vibrant has picked up a lot of black so it comes out really dark.
I usually do like chuck and boil the hell out of some water to help clean it off. But it's still there. I clean my pan off after each use too.. But it's still there.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:44 am

I use 1 stainless pot that I got at Ollie's I think, for $2.99.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby ChUcK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:I have 2 pans and I try to keep my dark dyes in one of em. But it happens to me too. My blood red that used to be super vibrant has picked up a lot of black so it comes out really dark.
I usually do like chuck and boil the hell out of some water to help clean it off. But it's still there. I clean my pan off after each use too.. But it's still there.

For the record, that's not how I wash my pans, I merely recommended the water-boiling as a method to see if the pan coating was absorbing and releasing dye. I wash mine with dish soap and a green scrubby, works like a charm on stainless steel.

Acid, the most likely cause of vibrancy loss of your blood-red is from using it after a black RIT dip. The black dye will seep back into the pan from the dyed disc (especially when it's fresh) and mix with the pure red color, darkening it as you said.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm prolly gonna get another pan like what Chuck described in a couple of days. I've got a few dyes I wanna complete for this tourney and I don't want the colors to be all jacked up and dark
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lilbuzjr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I just picked up a tinplate pie pan at my local dollar store (the hard kind, not the foil) and im hoping it will work... it looks good anyway.
I've always believed not matter how many shots I miss, I'm going to make the next one.

~Isiah Thomas
lilbuzjr
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:36 pm

It should work, but I'd be worried about lack of handles. Pan + no handles = spill of liquid rit death.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:43 pm

I picked up a stainless steel pan a few weeks ago for all of my vibrant colors. I was surprised that it was so hard to find one that wasn't coated with anything
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:49 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:I was surprised that it was so hard to find one that wasn't coated with anything

I know, right?!?
marmoset
King of Calipers

Return to Disc Artwork