Spin dye mix.

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Spin dye mix.

Postby BaseEight » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Well i have been meaning to write this thread for a long time. So a while ago in here I read a thread about someone asking how to make spin type dyes. In the thread someone mentioned using soap and liquid rit to do it, I tried this, expecting it not to work too much and it didn't. After I tried I decided to experiment a bit and came up with a recipe that works fairly well. Just guessing on the ratios the recipe I came up with is 3 parts powdered rit, 1 or so parts acetone, and maybe about 10-15 parts glycerin. This works pretty well and i have made some good dies with it, the main problem with the formula is the glycerin is expensive and before you do a dye you have to shake it which causes bubbles in the dye. These bubbles can show up in the finished work, my next dye batch I make I am planning on trying corn syrup as the thickener. It might be a little sticky but it is allot cheaper and should have less bubbles, also I think it is more water soluble so changing the thickness of the dye should be easier. For a school project i had to make a website about something and took some pictures of the disks i have done and made a video of me dying one.

Here are the pics

This is one of the rig I made to spin them:

Here is some of the one I made the video of:

Here is another I did that I have pictures of:

Here is the video of the one i dyed:
View My Video

Well, I hope this helps someone, I haven't found any info online about spin type die mixes, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the dye better I would love some ideas.
BaseEight
Noob

Re: Spin dye mix.

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 am

hint.....dish soap
suggestion.....make your pics smaller :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby domromer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 am

What the ratio of Rit to dish soap?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby BaseEight » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

I originally tried dish soap when I tried what someone on here was saying about dish soap and liquid rit. I think it would work okay but it would probably be just about as bad as far as bubbles go. Next time I spin one I might try some dish soap and some corn syrup, I don't have any disks to dye at the moment though.
BaseEight
Noob

Postby Hoey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 am

domromer wrote:What the ratio of Rit to dish soap?

i don't think there has been any real scientific studies. it seems like different colors need different levels of soap to mix well.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby mzuleger » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:03 pm

I got some condiment containers from walmart
filled them about 3/4 with dish soap (I use clear soap so it's easier to tell what color the rit is).
Added a full package of RIT
then topped it off with Acetone (not sure if it helps much but I do it regardless).

I'm still planning on letting them cook a little to see if that makes the color brighter. I might even try putting them out in my driveway after I spin them to let the sun open the pores a little.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 pm

It also works well to run the disc under a hair dryer for a few minutes before you spin it to open the pores up in the plastic. Just till it starts to get hot nothing too extreme
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Return to Disc Artwork