New dye: Confusitron......organic freehand

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New dye: Confusitron......organic freehand

Postby BennettUA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 pm

After my last dye(Jagermeister) in which I utilized a "starburst" pattern with strips of vinyl, I thought it would be a good idea to try it again, this time more along the lines of how an auto detailer would add custom pinstriping.
I cut different sizes and width of vinyl strips, applied one end underneath the rim, and then held the other end taught while "tracing" over with the butt of my finger how i wanted the vinyl to move. Tricky to do without getting wrinkles, just takes a little patience to get it clean(doesn't everything? :D) I cut off the excess and then added a rim of vinyl for that great outline look.

I went a bit overboard, but that was intentional; I wanted more of the opaque blue to show through. The end result is very unique and didn't bleed much at all, considering how many overlapping pieces there were!

You can faintly read "Confusitron" on the disc -- This is a Champion Roadrunner for a friend on mine from Ohio -- he was on his way to Myrtle Beach, I bought this disc FOR him, to try a unique dye on a disc he hadn't thrown before that should add to his game. He loved it, and I can't wait to see him throw it!

Ready to dye:

Almost done weeding:

Finished from the top:

Finished from the bottom:
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: New dye: Confusitron......organic freehand

Postby mickas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:47 pm

looks like something that must have been just maddening to do, looks good in the end though, ugh i just couldn't imagine peeling every little line....*shudder*
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby inthedrift » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am

Me rikey
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:50 am

Looks pretty cool. ChUcK did something really similar to this on a yellow/orange disc on the underside that looks REALLY sick. If he sees your post maybe he'll link you to it so it can give you some ideas of another way to do it if you try it again.

Sometimes the bleeding is a very cool effect. I've done a wicked crackle effect on a buddy's disc and I found it by accident. I ended up redoing parts of it to get the crackle effect all over the outside of the edges.. Mainly to mask my flaw, but more as a way to go with the flow of my screwup and make it a cool pattern. I just cut a bunch of contact paper strips in random shapes and layed them out on top of each other... Overlapping all over the place. Don't press em down too much. The dye seeps into every gap it can find and creates a really wicked pattern.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby marmoset » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:58 am

AciDBatH666 wrote:...ChUcK did something really similar to this on a yellow/orange disc on the underside that looks REALLY sick...

ChUcK wrote:This one was a treat. I got an XL in scrip and decided to make it mine. So, I dyed it orange, then put this crazy swirly pattern on it. The "windows" were done freehand, which is why they look like crap. Oh, well.

sorta anti-dip dyeing. I hope my fiancee doesn't use the ladle until I've had a chance to clean it...
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby BennettUA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 am

marmoset wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote:...ChUcK did something really similar to this on a yellow/orange disc on the underside that looks REALLY sick...

I remember that disc, VERY sweet, but I don't think that was freehand :P
Such a cool design though, and came out great. I would have loved to see how the vinyl was applied and the weeding :D.

I have some Champion plastic discs to try this "underside" dye technique on. To be continued....
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm 99% sure it IS freehand.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby ChUcK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:56 am

No, Bennet's right, that wasn't freehand. It was an image I pulled off the web, but the 'window' part of the design, where the hotstamps are, those were cut while the vinyl was on the disc as a last second whim and are uneven/sloppy, my usual freehand cutting adjectives. Unless you meant freehand as in 'not cut by a machine', then yes. I remember an experiment I did earlier with some electrical tape. The pic is long-lost on some cd somewhere, but I had stretched the tape in lines over the center of the flight plate, with 4 pieces of tape total. Once dyed, it resembled a circular british flag.

Bennet, how did you apply the dye? That doesn't look like a run-of-the-mill dip dye. Airbrush, perhaps?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby marmoset » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:51 am

When I say freehand I mean X-Acto cut instead of plotter cut.
Sorry for any confusion.

I don't know what I'd call art you draw yourself... I guess I'd call it hand drawn. All my art is hand drawn, then Illustrator-ed, then plottered. That way I get the satisfaction of having my personal artwork on a disc and retaining the ability to make subsequent copies at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: sorry for the derail, and mad props to all you X-ActoHeads!
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby BennettUA » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:50 pm

ChUcK wrote:Bennet, how did you apply the dye? That doesn't look like a run-of-the-mill dip dye. Airbrush, perhaps?

Thanks for saying so, but it's just a regular dip. It may look strange because it's Champion plastic and you can see the backyard faintly through the disc, giving it shadows and swirls, but in person it's a clean 10 minute dip in "scarlet" Rit dye & water.

I am going to try this technique again, using more(eek!) strips of vinyl and cutting away a pattern/ logo IN the strips. Will post, of course!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork