Argyle is a hard first dye

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Argyle is a hard first dye

Postby XvileX » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I decided to do an Argyle print for my first dye. It was intensely more difficult than I thought it would be, compounded by the fact that I didn't have a great stencil to work with. When I blew it up it got real fuzzy, and I didn't fix it like I could have.

This was entirely cut by hand without the use of a ruler, and it shows. :lol: We have a glass coffee table, and I put one of those make-up mirrors (with lights on the front) under the table. Then, I put my stencil/contact paper on a clear flexible cutting board and went to town. the flexible cutting board was nice because it made it easier to see the lines I was cutting when I flexed it.

I love it, but there are a few flaws that I can avoid next time. One of them was caused by going way to close to the edge of the disc. When I was folding the contact paper over the edge it caused a little flex right where the corner of the cut was, which in turn bled like hell.

All in all I'm quite proud of it. I'm not a very artsy person, but this was easy enough I'll give it another shot soon I'm sure.

Nice small view

Closer

Couple pics of the real bad bleed I had
XvileX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Re: Argyle is a hard first dye

Postby ChUcK » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 pm

XvileX wrote:Couple pics of the real bad bleed I had

Welcome to the disc dyeing forum, home to more bleeds than an A-clinic....

I still can't believe the quality of first-attempts that these pages hold. I'm glad that nobody will ever see my first-attempts. There would be much laughing and finger-pointing.

XvileX, I recommend caution near the edges until you find the right vinyl for your tastes, one that doesn't release contact near the lip.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:41 am

Kudos on your first attempt. Don't feel bad about the screwups. You learned from it and that's half the battle. From further away it looks good so I wouldn't be too worried about it. As for the bleeding, you just have to learn that any cut into the vinyl/contact paper is going to get dye seeping into it. Controlling that just comes with experience and prepping the masking down with a lot of attention to detail. Keep it up tho. You don't have to be super artsy to produce super clean artwork.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:15 am

One of the interesting thing about bleeds is that they can look really cool, like the wing of this Argyle disc. Reproducing that effect on purpose seems like it would be difficult.

Wasn't there a The Wall disc floating around the pages for a bit that used bleeds to its advantage?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am

I kinda did a bleed/crackle thing on a pink Floyd one, and on a led zeppelin one I did for a friend. It's like a cool marble effect if you mess with it. I had wanted to do something with a ton of cracks in it for an abstract bleed dye but got so caught up with doing intricate work and never got around to it.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby XvileX » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:59 pm

ChUcK wrote:XvileX, I recommend caution near the edges until you find the right vinyl for your tastes, one that doesn't release contact near the lip.

I think I've diagnosed this to two separate issues. The first and most blatant was that I was using cheap ass shelf lining vinyl that I bought at home depot. I just wanted to get something that would work to see if it was worth chasing down good vinyl, which it is. :!:

The other part was inexperience... I hadn't thought to use more caution when pressing the vinyl into the disc around the edges. It chose to buckle at the weakest point, which just happened to be the corners of my cuts. I saw the little raised part, but I used my Blockbuster membership card to rub the crap out of it. I figured I got it down good enough, but that was a lesson learned.

I too like the bleed effect. I might work on 2 new designs to use it. The first would be a heart that I drew a long time ago with a Pilot V Ball superfine pen. Lots and lots of veins. The second would be a lit cigarette outline, and then use the bleed for the smoke coming off. That would be ( . Y . ).
XvileX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Postby dgdave » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Those are the good Star Teebirds.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BennettUA » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Great first dye, especially without a ruler, those lines looks pretty good from a distance.
I bet it looks SWEET in the air too!!!

Keep it up and keep posting!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Return to Disc Artwork