Grateful Dead bear dye (burnt)

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grateful Dead bear dye (burnt)

Postby BennettUA » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am

Well guys, I finally made my first big mistake -- I burnt a disc. Actually, I don't think the disc was affected, seems to fly just like it should(Champ Beast), but the vinyl burnt and changed the disc color.
I was having trouble getting the plastic to take the dye -- don't know why, Champ is usually good to soak it up. So I turned up my stovetop burner to 2.5 out of 10. I came back 4 minutes later and the dye was all but boiling! Couldn't believe it on that low of a setting on the stove.
I panicked, took the disc out, cleaned it, and weeded the parts for the color of the bear -- and the disc was clean and clear! I assumed the rest would be too, but when I pulled that off the next day(let the first color soak in before remasking), i saw what I had feared, that the vinyl had turned the disc a clear shade of burnt brown.
I also had trouble with the color dyes soaking. I used "purple" and "dark green" for the first time, both the liquid concentrate bottles, and they just would NOT soak into the disc. Took forever to get what you see.
Still, it flies like it should, and I'll use it, but I don't think it would sell-- I was planning on doing a whole set of the dancing dead bears, but after the trouble I had with this one, I'm moving on to other dyes. :D
Image---Image
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: Grateful Dead bear dye (burnt)

Postby pointdisc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:32 pm

BennettUA wrote:I used "purple" and "dark green" for the first time,

Dark green strikes again! I tried it once, along w/ a different green, and all I got were various shades of brown on the WHITE star disc. The vinyl was a nice green color though...

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby BennettUA » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:17 pm

pointdisc wrote:
BennettUA wrote:I used "purple" and "dark green" for the first time,

Dark green strikes again! I tried it once, along w/ a different green, and all I got were various shades of brown on the WHITE star disc. The vinyl was a nice green color though...

pd

have you found a green that works well? Or any other colors that have given you or anyone else problems? I definitely wasn't expecting a color problem.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Postby ChUcK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Someone mentioned that Kelly Green is the way to go, and I might give it a shot. I actually never use green, having been soured on it by the Dark Green Syndrome, as we call it in the business.

Bennet, I've been there with the boiled rit situation. I don't think you actually burn the vinyl, but rather the dye makes it all the way through the vinyl and dyes the disc beneath the mask. The dye process, at normal temperatures, is normally halted before the dye can disperse all the way through the vinyl. But, when the pan o' black rit death boils the dye molecules can really speed their way through. That's why those air bubbles and wrinkles that were underneath the vinyl are visible- no dye touched there, being unable to travel through air as a medium.

That doesn't make the situation suck any less. I torched a few trophy discs for the 2008 Terrace Creek Open and felt so bad...it was inexcusable because I had already learned the lesson the hard way previously.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby pointdisc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am

BennettUA wrote:have you found a green that works well? Or any other colors that have given you or anyone else problems? I definitely wasn't expecting a color problem.

No, and I've got one that needs green coming up. I am planning on trying a yellow base and short dipping some blue over that until I get the desired green.

I've also had no problem getting other colors to work.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby English101 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Kelly Green is the way to go, I have used dark green in the past at it is sketchy at best.

Here is the dark green with a light yellow layer dyed on top of it:

Here is teal on yellow champ:

Here is Kelly Green on Clear/white: (sorry not a very good picture)

My preference is definitely the kelly green, don't know if that helps at all?...
English101
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ TL

Return to Disc Artwork