Why did my glow disc not dye? Any other plastics like this?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why did my glow disc not dye? Any other plastics like this?

Postby BennettUA » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am

I dyed a glow Valkyrie last night--- I've read and seen that the glow discs take dye very well, but I soaked this thing all night in pretty much straight dye concentrate, and even added acetone after an hour of the dye not talking at all!!!! It came out a bland green in the morning, definitely NOT worth what I paid for a nice clean new glow disc in the hopes of getting a nice sharp black dye on it.

I have three other glow discs -- a Roc, an Aviar, and another Valkyrie. I don't want to dye them if this is going to happen again. Does anyone know how to tell if these discs will dye as poorly as the one last night?

So my question is, what discs SHOULD take dye but don't? How would I have known that MY glow Innovas wouldn't take dye when I see others' with great results? I found out the hard way about Innova's "KC PRO" line is different from their "PRO" line(monumentally). Any other examples?
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: Why did my glow disc not dye? Any other plastics like this?

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52 am

BennettUA wrote:I dyed a glow Valkyrie last night--- I've read and seen that the glow discs take dye very well, but I soaked this thing all night in pretty much straight dye concentrate, and even added acetone after an hour of the dye not talking at all!!!! It came out a bland green in the morning, definitely NOT worth what I paid for a nice clean new glow disc in the hopes of getting a nice sharp black dye on it.

I have three other glow discs -- a Roc, an Aviar, and another Valkyrie. I don't want to dye them if this is going to happen again. Does anyone know how to tell if these discs will dye as poorly as the one last night?

So my question is, what discs SHOULD take dye but don't? How would I have known that MY glow Innovas wouldn't take dye when I see others' with great results? I found out the hard way about Innova's "KC PRO" line is different from their "PRO" line(monumentally). Any other examples?

Was this a DX Glow disc...like this one http://innovadiscs.com/discs/glowteebird.html? Cuz I dont think they have ever made champ glow valks. The champ glow is great for dye. Nothing in DX or KC pro is going to take the dye.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby BennettUA » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:25 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:Was this a DX Glow disc...like this one http://innovadiscs.com/discs/glowteebird.html? Cuz I dont think they have ever made champ glow valks. The champ glow is great for dye. Nothing in DX or KC pro is going to take the dye.

Apparently it is a DX GLow disc -- bought it from DiscGolfCenter.com, but all it says there is "Glow, Standard." It FEELS more like a PRO plastic, but if it were PRO it would've taken the dye better.

Where can I buy Champion Glow? I usually go to DiscGolfCenter because it's the easiest site to pick discs from, but it just lists them as "Glow," not "DX Glow" or "Champion Glow."
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Postby Roy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:32 pm

BennettUA wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:Was this a DX Glow disc...like this one http://innovadiscs.com/discs/glowteebird.html? Cuz I dont think they have ever made champ glow valks. The champ glow is great for dye. Nothing in DX or KC pro is going to take the dye.

Apparently it is a DX GLow disc -- bought it from DiscGolfCenter.com, but all it says there is "Glow, Standard." It FEELS more like a PRO plastic, but if it were PRO it would've taken the dye better.

Where can I buy Champion Glow? I usually go to DiscGolfCenter because it's the easiest site to pick discs from, but it just lists them as "Glow," not "DX Glow" or "Champion Glow."

Champ glows are usually CFR molds. They shouldnt be too hard to find.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Return to Disc Artwork