anybody ever use this?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

anybody ever use this?

Postby jb22384 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:07 pm

I've been getting kinda tired of having to trace stencils out numerous times to actually get it the design on the contact paper, and then cutting it out before i put it in the dye. i've tried putting the contact paper through the printer (which works ok, but its aggravating trying to cut it to exactly 8.5"x11", and i'm afraid i may screw up the printer eventually). So, long story short i bought some stuff at office depot that is made for printers. it's basically like those clear mailing labels you can print, except its an entire 8.5"x11" sheet. Sorta like a big sticker you can print on. I don't think it's as thick as contact paper, but I'm hoping it'll work just the same.

I was wondering if anyone else has used this, and if you had any success with it.

It's possible that i've been doing the process wrong from the beginning, and I don't even need to use this stuff, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong.
jb22384
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Eagle

Re: anybody ever use this?

Postby ChUcK » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:08 am

you should watch the Disc Dyeing 102 video, in the first part I demonstrate how to take a piece of regular paper with the design printed on it to vinyl cutout in one step.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby jb22384 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:09 am

I guess i need to rig up a light box or something, i guess that would probably help. but i have been using just regular contact paper and not sign vinyl like yall use. can i follow the same procedure using contact paper, or the new stuff i just bought? or do you know of another way to go about it, if contact paper won't work using your method?

my main reason for wanting something adhesive i can print on, is b/c ive been trying more complicated stencils/designs using more than one color dye. it got difficult trying to trace all the different colored parts, having to cut them out and fit them in place (i apologize if my explanation isn't making much sense). if you've got suggestions on how to do that sort of stuff (or suggestions just in general), i can probably use plenty of input.

also, do you always use rit and water to dye discs? i was talking to a guy last week and he used rit mixed w/ acetone to do his dyes. im just curious as to how that would work, or why people use that method.
jb22384
Noob

Postby jb22384 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:16 am

p.s. this was the design i was attempting to put on a disc when i started having difficulties.

jb22384
Noob

Postby jb22384 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:37 am

sorry, but i just remembered another question. in attempting some multi-color dyes, ive read everywhere to dye from darkest to lightest. do you ever re-cover parts you've already dyed, before you do a different color? and if so, what's the best method for doing that? i've been starting w/ black dye, but everything, including the black parts, end up tinted by whatever color i dye last.
jb22384
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:55 am

jb22384 wrote:can i follow the same procedure using contact paper, or the new stuff i just bought? or do you know of another way to go about it, if contact paper won't work using your method?

I've never used contact paper, but if you can see through it while on a light table and cut it with an xacto, then it should work. I have some vinyl that is dark blue and it's tough, but still possible, to trace through it.

jb22384 wrote:my main reason for wanting something adhesive i can print on, is b/c ive been trying more complicated stencils/designs using more than one color dye. it got difficult trying to trace all the different colored parts, having to cut them out and fit them in place (i apologize if my explanation isn't making much sense). if you've got suggestions on how to do that sort of stuff (or suggestions just in general), i can probably use plenty of input.

Well, the most colors I ever try to dip-dye is 2, black and something else. I get every line cut out, but nly weed the parts to be black. Dip in the black, weed the second color, dip it, then remove all vinyl and wash it up. I can't imagine trying to get the design re-drawn on the vinyl and then figuring out which color is which, etc. I only have the patience to trace each design once.

It still is a little difficult at times to keep the hierarchy of different colors intact while weeding the vinyl, and the way I combat this confusion is to take a step back, breathe a few deep lungfuls of whatever is appropriate, and come back a little while later all focused and whatnot.

jb22384 wrote:also, do you always use rit and water to dye discs? i was talking to a guy last week and he used rit mixed w/ acetone to do his dyes. im just curious as to how that would work, or why people use that method.

[/quote]

Pretty much. I haven't found any way to reproduce the brilliant jet black that you get from a spaghetti pot full of black RIT tar. I have used acetone/RIT in the past, and am now experimenting with laundry soap. These methods help you achieve multi-color dyes without the subsequent colors tinting the earlier ones. All acetone does (besides eat plastic) is keep the dye in one place, because the acetone evaporates so quickly. Same with laundry soap, which is so thick that the dye stays put.

Try messing around with acetone + dye, but do it outside. I recommend dissolving some dye in a tall, skinny glass of acetone, and then decanting the good dye off the top. Leave the crystals, as they will leave streaks and blotches of color on the disc. Or leave them in, if that's the effect you want... Remember that it won't take a lot of acetone. Just make a few tablespoons of dye and you can store it in something airtight for next time.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby jb22384 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:25 am

i really appreciate all the feedback. a lot of it has already helped w/ the two dyes i did this weekend. there's still some stuff that's keeping me from getting exactly the results i want, but im obviously still getting the hang of things (and getting impatient w/ it doesn't help much either). thanks again.
jb22384
Noob

Return to Disc Artwork