Bruce Brakel's Dyed Disc Thread

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bruce Brakel's Dyed Disc Thread

Postby brucebrakel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:08 pm

I thought I'd post some of my original stuff. I have time on my hands for doing custom work if you have something you've always wanted done. This one is entirely my art, but I did not write or direct the movies:

If you click on the image it might take you to a bigger image at my photo dump page.
Remind me to change my signature line when the Buy One Get One Free Sale is over!
http://discontinuum.org/index.php?optio ... pic=4773.0
brucebrakel
Noob

Favorite Disc: rogue

Re: Bruce Brakel's Dyed Disc Thread

Postby brucebrakel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:18 pm

I developed this artwork not from the similar album cover, but from the tour poster he used in New York. I did a stack of these for Jerry Gotcher in Pennsylvania, and I've done several more for my tournament players.

Remind me to change my signature line when the Buy One Get One Free Sale is over!
brucebrakel
Noob

Postby brucebrakel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Two years ago for the IOSeries the dyed trophy discs were all geometric designs, similar to this one, but with trophy lettering too.

brucebrakel
Noob

Postby brucebrakel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 pm

This is the Chicago skyline at sunset from about a mile out on the lake. I really like this one but it was too much work to mass produce. It bled like Custer's bugle boy, but it still looked cool. I don't know who has it. I hope they are enjoying it.

That's all for tonight. I'm available to do custom work currently. That doesn't mean I'll do YOUR custom thing, but I might.
brucebrakel
Noob

Postby Luke » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Hot damn.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby nothaz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Luke wrote:Hot damn.

Hot Hot Damn...
chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Postby whridlsoncestood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 pm

How did you do that sky work?
whridlsoncestood
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Valkarie

Postby brucebrakel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I taped the water part of the disc and the white spot for the sun. I painted a stripe of red across the top and yellow across the middle. I blended them to get the oranges and dabbed some red in the sky to get those clouds. I did it like watercolors using my ordinary dye mix, which is just 50/50 liquid RIT and liquid laundry detergent, thickened some by evaporation. Then I took up the sun spot, cut the skyline mask and did the skyline right over the sunset. I think I did the water last.

I did a similar sunset sky for this Batman disc:

brucebrakel
Noob

Postby brucebrakel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:38 pm

The skyline and the batman were some of the last things I did handcutting masks. More recently I've mostly worked with machine cut masks. Before that I was doing spirals, fire and sun patterns, all with paint brushes and styluses. Styli? Stuff like this:

I like working with yellow, red and orange because I'm mostly colorblind but I think I understand what I'm doing with these colors.
brucebrakel
Noob

Postby brucebrakel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:44 pm

One of the things I really like doing are trophy discs. This is one I did for a doubles tournament:

The lettering is hand drawn using white glue. Putting on nice lettering by hand is truly an art. "Cran" is the best brand of white glue I've found for this. It pretty much stays where you put it. It spreads out a little, but Elmers will run like Walter Payton.
brucebrakel
Noob

Postby Trey133 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 am

Seriously nice work! Great inventive idea's too!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby BennettUA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 am

Incredible work, I've never seen such great blending. I will definitely be trying the blend techniques!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Postby BennettUA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 am

How did you come out with those great little squigley lines of color??!?!!?! I can't stop staring...... :shock:
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Postby brucebrakel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:31 pm

That whole squiggly lines of color thing evolved from first doing points like these:

And then I experimented with wiggling the stylus and I did stuff like this:

Kelsey was learning one stroke painting techniques at the time and I wondered what would happen if I dipped the stylus obliquely into the dye and gradually lifted it up as I wiggled it toward the edge, and it evolved into fatter lines more like the sun rays around the Raisin Bran sun dude, like this:

You really need to click on the pics to see the detail. That last one has a spiral herringbone thing going on in the middle, but it is just a blur in the large thumbnail.
brucebrakel
Noob

Postby brucebrakel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Replying to your sig line, I really think hand cut is "art" and machine cut is "craft". I have a lot of respect for anyone who gets out the glass and knife and starts carving the vinyl. I was making cool dyed stuff for my players at my tournaments so I found i really needed to speed up the process or there was no frisbee playing time left after all the frisbee dying.

This is the very first thing I can recall hand cutting. It is also an original Celtic knot. I read this impenetrable how-to guide on making original Celtic knots and then I made one on Contac paper:

I had to cut it on the disc. That was a lot of work. I carried the disc as a back up in my bag for awhile and then sold it to some disc golf chick, Sarah Demar or Jen Dombrowski, for a lot less than I wanted.
brucebrakel
Noob

Next

Return to Disc Artwork