multi colored dyes

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

multi colored dyes

Postby tigel » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:53 am

I've been reading around and haven't found a tutorial on the process of dying with more than one color?

I tried one on my mini and tried stenciling my design on the disc, cutting it all out, and then covering up the parts I wanted a different color (it was just text so it was easy to cover up). When it came out, the pieces I used to cover up kind of peeled back while dying and some of the text that I didn't want dyed was dyed. I then took it out, rinsed, and covered up the dyed area and uncovered the different color and did the same. Again, it peeled off and thankfully it was black so it didn't matter.

In my example should i have stenciled the first color letters first, cut them out, dyed them, and then stenciled the other letters and cut them out as well? It just seems like a pain in the ass if that's how you do it, but if it is, I'll live ;)
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: multi colored dyes

Postby JohnnyB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:12 pm

"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby ChUcK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:02 pm

You can see a decent visual example in the second part of the Disc Dyeing 101 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdFgbzzbEQ

We only dipped two colors, but you can combine this technique with others to create some awesome multi-color discs.

On a beautiful side note, this was done by a guy in Washington named Eric, and he's currently taking multicolor dyes to a new level:
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby tigel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:45 pm

I guess the only thing i'm confused about is when I cut out everything and dip it in black, then take it out to dip it in red/yellow/green or whatever, wherever I wanted the second color there is a black outline since I previously cut that out and the black dye just went in the cuts despite me not pealing them off.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:56 pm

That's a quality issue either with the vinyl/contact paper you're using, or the lack of making sure that all your vinyl is pressed down in evvvvery spot on the disc.
Also, you could be going really high on the heat. Sometimes it kind of bakes the vinyl and peels it back in some places. Letting that black in. You have to make sure you physically get rid of EVERY crease and be sure to press every millimeter of vinyl onto the disc or you'll continue to have problems.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ChUcK » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:15 am

That's the problem with the dipping method. I can get clean multicolors if I paint the dye onto the disc, but dipping in black always leaves a slight black outline on stuff. I just adjust my expectations of the finished product accordingly.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby DiscDemon25 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 pm

tigel wrote:I guess the only thing i'm confused about is when I cut out everything and dip it in black, then take it out to dip it in red/yellow/green or whatever, wherever I wanted the second color there is a black outline since I previously cut that out and the black dye just went in the cuts despite me not pealing them off.

Change to a new blade and don't put too much pressure into the cut. In other words, if the blade is sharp enough, a nice tiny line will cut, if you bear down to hard, you're cutting a canyon and ink will bleed into your cut lines.

Lighten up and keep fresh extremely sharp blades on your knife.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, why do actions speak louder than words?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DiscDemon25
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I think you're right. I've only used this blade a couple times, but in that couple times I've cut out about 8 discs... I'll try that.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Disc Artwork