HOMER SIMPSON -- "WHOO HOO!!!"

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

HOMER SIMPSON -- "WHOO HOO!!!"

Postby BennettUA » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 am

Homer on a Pro Leopard:

I stenciled the image on my vinyl and cut out the Sharpie, which is the ideal width for the Groening-style lines.

I have to finish the shading on his right hand fingers(just a miss on my part) and pants(too close to the edge, needs special attention). I used Black dye for the shading, put it in the warm dye for maybe 15 seconds, WOW it was quick but PERFECT!

The only problem was a couple "spotty" spots from the Evening Blue dye. It's the only color that I used powdered dye with, and I got the powdered mix spotted on a couple spots near his head. No biggie.

This is a Christmas gift, can't wait to give it!

I may eventually post my usual "dye-in-process" pics for this one, but thanks for looking!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: HOMER SIMPSON -- "WHOO HOO!!!"

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 am

That looks sweet. Too bad it's on Pro plastic, we all know how that turns out. At least it'll still look hot when you give it as a gift! Nice work.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby ChUcK » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:39 am

I get that crap from powdered rit whenever it's the first time using that box of color. I've always just chalked it up to fate, but I wonder if you can avoid that by bringing the rit to a boil and then cooling it back down before use.

That's a killer job on the shading. Is the 5 o'clock shadow part of the skin-tone shading, or is it just black dipped lightly before the shading dip?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby BennettUA » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 pm

ChUcK wrote:I Is the 5 o'clock shadow part of the skin-tone shading, or is it just black dipped lightly before the shading dip?

The beard is Tan Rit. Skin is Golden Yellow and a bit of Lemon, and the bg and jeans are Evening Blue. The pants will be darkened to a navy shade.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby JohnnyB » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Very nice shading. And surprisingly good colors for pro plastic. How did you get them to come out so well?
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby pointdisc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 am

ChUcK wrote:but I wonder if you can avoid that by bringing the rit to a boil and then cooling it back down before use.

Nope, boiling doesn't help it. I just take the slag off by skimming it w/ a paper towel, yellow is by far the worst for this. It seems the more I use a color, the more of this happens...

man, I need to get some more dyes done...

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 pm

JohnnyB wrote:Very nice shading. And surprisingly good colors for pro plastic. How did you get them to come out so well?

Well, pro plastic dyes just fine- I'd almost go as far to say that it dyes the best. The damn dye disperses through the plastic like greased lightning, though, too blurry too quick.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby JohnnyB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

I've always had similar results with pro as I do with DX.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby BennettUA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

JohnnyB wrote:Very nice shading. And surprisingly good colors for pro plastic. How did you get them to come out so well?

I've never had a problem with Pro plastic. I have lots of Star and Champ plastic in my bag, but I love Pro for it's grippiness. Pro-D and KC Pro don't hold dye very well, more like a DX, but the Pro discs that I've dyed have held dye just as well as Star and Champ.

Here's a KC Pro Aviar. Took forever to get any dye into the disc, and by now(6 months) it's faded to a soft pink flesh tone.

And here's a Pro Wraith. No problems with this one, and the color is just as vibrant as the day it was dyed. The crispness has faded some, but all discs will fade, and this hasn't faded any more noticeably than my Star or Champ dyes.

BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork