spray paint disc

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: spray paint disc

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 am

marmoset wrote:VHT makes dye in a rattle can. It is not paint layer sitting on top of the substrate, it is a true dye that soaks into the pores of the material. Anyone ever use this stuff? It definitely works on vinyls, I've never tried it on urethanes.

It comes in a few basic colors- think interior colors like neutral whites, greys, browns, and some reds, yellows and blues.

Where the hell can I find this locally? I'll get some and f with it and post the results if I can find it around me and not have to order it. Personally I don't think it'll work like we're thinking because it's made for cloth... But no reason not to try it.
I used VHT paint for darkening my tail lenses on my GTI. They make some good quality stuff.
I'll do a search tomorrow and see what I can find online but if anyone knows if wally world, lowes, or Pep boys carries this stuff lemme know
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby lefty-hyzer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:30 am

VW love! I'm an Audi/Porsche guy...but show the dubs love too.

i've used this stuff, i'm not sure how it will do on this type of plastic. it worked really well on the rubber trim/bumpers on the old 944 though.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:45 am

I ordered mine from summit and it works great on vinyl. I sprayed backlight vinyl (that's the flexible rear window used in convertibles) and it worked great. I adjusted the fan pattern, got my overlaps right, and it came out very even. After it sat for a short while it was apparent that the dye was inside the vinyl and would not flake off even after worst case scenario testing. I reccommend it for its advertised use. But our discs are not made of vinyl. So someone needs to try it.

If anyone can find it locally that would be ideal because shipping is expensive on aerosol items.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby lefty-hyzer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 am

i've still got a can of the black laying around, i'll spray some on an old disc and see what happens.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am

Make sure you post some pics!
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 am

I have the Duplicolor version lying around, also black. I will try something at some point. What plastics are you going to try it on Lefty Hyzer? I'll try to tag some of the ones you aren't doing.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby lefty-hyzer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:17 am

I was just going to spray an old dx kite that my dogs got a hold of...since it's already muck.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

DX traditionally hates dye.
I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying don't be surprised.
I will look through my stash tonight and list the candidates. We can cross off any duplicate blends at that point.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby lefty-hyzer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:26 am

sounds good. i'll give it a try and see what happens. i've got plenty of star plastic laying around too, but didn't want to "ruin" anything. i'm sure i can round up one or two to test though. i'll go check the stash and see what's doable, and repost a list as well. if i'm not mistaken the duplicolor is slightly cheaper than VHT, so i'm interested to see how it compares.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am

This is the stuff I have.
I bought it at Advance Auto. It should be available at any major automotive store I would imagine.

YouTube video of some guy dying his carpet.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:31 am

lefty-hyzer wrote:i've got plenty of star plastic laying around too, but didn't want to "ruin" anything.

Spray the back of the disc.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:19 pm

marmoset wrote:
lefty-hyzer wrote:i've got plenty of star plastic laying around too, but didn't want to "ruin" anything.

take newsprint and mask off most of the disc, leaving just a little test-spot uncovered.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby marmoset » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

ChUcK wrote:
marmoset wrote:

take newsprint and mask off most of the disc, leaving just a little test-spot uncovered.

That's what I was planning to do except with vinyl. I wonder if it would seep through the vinyl mask since it is designed for vinyl?
Anyway, I just remembered I am leaving town and I have too much other stuff to do. This will have to wait until I come back.
Sorry guys.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork