Darkness of colors

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Darkness of colors

Postby Claytoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 am

I cannot get different colors onto my discs, even with clear plastic.
I use the powdered RIT it hot water (on the stove set to about 3, hot enough to comfortably leave my hands on the pot for 10 seconds or so) and let it sit for 20 in the dye for 20 minutes, but the dyes I use always seem to come out dark. For instance I use a green and if I just leave it for 5-10 minutes or even 20 minutes, it just comes out a different shade of black. I probably just need to use lighter colors, but I don't see how to get them more vibrant. I tried putting some acetone in the dye bath, but that just seemed to make the dye not stick at all, made me think that was an ongoing prank on these boards for beginners.
Claytoon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Re: Darkness of colors

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:12 am

No pranks that I know of. Post some pics of what you're trying to do and we can steer you in the right direction. What plastic are you dyeing, and what shade of green are you using? I can't remember, but there's a particular shade of rit green that is actually vomit colored. Dark green, or Kelly green, one of them is a bust.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby cjskier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 am

I would say go with a higher temp, and a much shorter dye time. Like say 150-180 degrees and only 1-2 minutes at the most. For different shades of dark colors some times all you need a a couple seconds. Your dying everything too dark.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 am

Hmmm, I disagree with this advice. The hotter the dye the harder it will be to control the colors. Also, the riskiness of the whole event skyrockets as the temp get hotter. Maybe you touch something that's hot, you flinch involuntarily, splish-splash your kitchen's taking a bath.

I feel the problem is in the choice of tint. Go pick up a different shade of green and see if the problem fixes itself.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pointdisc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 am

Listen to chuck.

It's the Dark green that sucks. The only thing that turns any shade resembling any green is the vinyl, the disc just ends up all the shades found in the camo-brown dictionary.
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 am

we should make that a sticky on the artwork page- don't use Rit Dark Green.

What's the good one? Kelly? Light?
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I did a hulk one in dark green. Came out really dark. I think it might have actually come out decent if I didn't have so much black in the dye job and if I would have pulled it out of the green sooner.
Wasn't horrible, but it made me wanna stray away from using it again.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Claytoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Wow don't I feel dumb. I think that is the exact shade of Green that I was trying to use, the crappy one. I am at work right now, but will try and stop by Wally world and get a few different colors. I will use the exact same process (temp, time, proportions of mix, etc.) and let you know if the only thing wrong with my process was the dye.
That would be awesome if it was as simple as that.
Claytoon
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 pm

KELLY GREEN

that's the good one to use
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Claytoon wrote:Wow don't I feel dumb. I think that is the exact shade of Green that I was trying to use, the crappy one. I am at work right now, but will try and stop by Wally world and get a few different colors. I will use the exact same process (temp, time, proportions of mix, etc.) and let you know if the only thing wrong with my process was the dye.
That would be awesome if it was as simple as that.

I think just about everybody here has fallen prey to the Dark Green Samurai. Don't feel too dumb. I still think you should post a picture though. That will answer all questions that might pertain to your dilemma.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:22 pm

thats the green that i did... pretty dark
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Claytoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Once I realized it wasn't going to turn out green, i just let it sit for longer. Figured almost black was better than a brown-green.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/claytonbing/4293786263/
Claytoon
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah, you're set. Different colors are the cure for your blues. Save the Dark Green, just combine it with your black.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:Image
thats the green that i did... pretty dark

Lucky for you there was a grey hulk for a while, wasn't there? I remember seeing that one when you first posted it, my eyes popped out of my head like a cartoon.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Claytoon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 am

I bought some lighter colors...namely lemon yellow and scarlet red (only light colors they had). I also saw navy blue, denim blue, and wine. Are any of those colors any good or are they death traps like dark green? Ironically I spent all this time worrying about color, and my next dye was more appropriate with a simple black. Will post pics tomorrow when it is complete.
Claytoon
Noob

Next

Return to Disc Artwork