Looking for a tutorial on the saran wrap method

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for a tutorial on the saran wrap method

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi, just joined the forums a little while ago and they've been a great source of information. I've just started dying my own discs (I have a whopping 5 discs done) and it's been pretty easy to find great tutorials for the normal dip dye. I am however having real trouble finding a proper tutorial on how to do the saran wrap method. I know it involves crumpling up some saran wrap, applying a little bit of dye there and then leaving the disc sit on it for quite a while. But I'm not at all sure about any of the specifics, stuff like how much dye, how much wrap, do you leave the wrap crumpled or do you straighten it out a bit (basically you'd just do the crumbling to spread out the dye and then straighten it a bit and wrap your disc in) or anything. I realize they can all be fiddled with to accomplish different effects, but a baseline technique would still be really helpful.

I've tried searching online (e.g. used the google advanced search to search this site, since the regular search still isn't working) but came up with nothing. Could anyone please elaborate?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Looking for a tutorial on the saran wrap method

Postby Booter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 pm

always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks, I read that post but somehow missed that there was an explanation in there. :oops:

Seems pretty straightforward if there really isn't any more to it than that. If there is, I'd like to hear it, but I think I can get started with this. Thanks again.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Booter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:17 pm

yea i dont think it was actually broken down to exact details but for the most part its pretty simple i think. just crumpled up seran wrap with some small amount of dye on top. i think the man you want to talk to is spinthrift .hes awesome with the technique. im sure he'll chiime in sooner or later
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am

Just tried it for the first time, with partial success. I left it in for too long for the color I wanted (12 hours with denim blue, came out really damn dark, gonna try 5 hours next) and I trouble with getting the disc covered (I only got to about 3 cm from the rim). Otherwise very promising. I'm going to do it again this evening with the same disc (my testbed disc, I went a little overboard with acetone once, it's no longer legal or possibly even really throwable), it'll be nice to see if I can get the lighter dye all the way to the rim, so I can compare the times properly.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby pointdisc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

Holy long time in the dye batman! I get great results w/ 20-30 minutes in the dye, but mine's heated a bit w/o acetone.
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

The saran-wrap method seems like it takes a bit of practice for each individual's dye style. As far as I can tell there's no good way to check the darkness without altering the "scrunch pattern", so it's a one shot deal.

Am I right? I haven't tried it yet, it looks too messy for my tastes, and I have to tread lightly 'round these parts.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Don't know why I left it for that long in hindsight, for some reason I had "24 hours, nah, that's too long, maybe 12" in my head at the time. But I got it to cover the entire disc on my new try, was too dark after 2 hours though. So now I just put the disc I was practicing for in, and since I only want a very mild effect I'll only leave it for 30 minutes. Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, and no heat, no acetone.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Also I haven't found this method to be messy at all, I think it's kinda even easier to keep everything clean than the dip method. Weird.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby pointdisc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Doesn't seem like it'd be messy (but I haven't dropped a pan of rit death yet), I wonder if you could get similar, but blockier / straighter line results w/ tin foil...

Going to try the tin-foil thing tonight w/ a random junker.
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby stoneman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:39 pm

I got pretty cool "marbling" lines by using packing tape scrunched up...but it left a lot of residue, and it wasn't much different than what those guys got with plain plastic wrap.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Disc Artwork