Trying to Perfect Technique

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby ChUcK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 am

DGFlyGirl wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote: I use acetone because it's what I started doing dyes with. You could put it in something else and dilute it. But I know for a fact that when I put some rit crystals in some acetone and brush it into a disc, I get the exact texture I'm looking for. It's not great for some things, but when I wanna brush on some colors in small spots it's what I do.


Do the crystals dissolve? If not, do you try and only use the dyed water, or do you scoop crystals too? (I know it's a nit-picky question :) )


Not a nit-picky question at all. I noticed that the acetone doesn't dissolve the RIT salt too well (it really is just table salt in there, RIT doesn't use anything fancy for their mordant). I don't like these messing up my painted dyes, so I decant them off. Mixing your RIT and acetone in a tall, skinny something (like a test tube or whatever) makes it easy to pour off the good bits into a container and discard the rest.

Once I was mixing up liter jars of every color of the rainbow dissolved in acetone. I had a pan of water boiling on the stove and would dip each jar in the boiling water for a few minutes. This dissolved all the extra salt, and it never crystallized back out of solution after cooling. Then some B-hole started internet-yelling at me that heating acetone is more dangerous than uranium fission, so I stopped recommending it to people.

Acid mentioned mixing RIT in dish soap, but I think he really meant laundry soap. I tried dish soap, and it worked, but only after a couple of days once the foam died down. Give it a shot, there's all sorts of possibilities there.

I have some good ideas for multi-color dyes that allow you to dip in any color order, but I have been too distracted by school and Fable II to really test them out.

Welcome to DGR, yo. I wish my local scene had more DGFlyGirls. :(
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Seattle
Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby DGFlyGirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 am

ChUcK wrote:I have some good ideas for multi-color dyes that allow you to dip in any color order, but I have been too distracted by school and Fable II to really test them out.

Welcome to DGR, yo. I wish my local scene had more DGFlyGirls. :(


Great advice, thanks! I bought a couple used white discs yesterday at the shop that supplies me, so I'm going to be testing out multiple colors over the next couple days and probably then donate them to one of the local elementary schools.

My dyes are being unveiled at a tournament this weekend even though people are already asking me for them, so I would like to get some technique tried out before I start getting hit up for orders.

I know what you mean about getting distracted! I work full-time (which means I get to print designs all day) and like to golf in the afternoons, so the only time that I get some solid hours to really delve into this is on rainy weekends! (Rock Band is another big distraction for me, too)

I know that some people are very proprietary about their methods - a couple of the accomplished fly dyers for example - but if you ever get the time to test out some of those dipping methods and feel generous enough to share what you've learned, I would definitely be interested to know more.

Has anyone actually tested the effectiveness of the vinyl dye that is used for detailing auto plastic and electronics plastic? It's not a paint per se, which I know is not PDGA approved, but it's like an aerosoled dye - common brands are Duplicolor, Magix, Plastikote, or SEM?

Our local scene is lacking in women as well, and (being young and single) it's kind of surprising to me. What woman DOESN'T want to play a sport that's 92% male? ;) Then again, it's for that reason that I do not just introduce ANY woman to the sport.... I actually play. I'm not just a beer and disc caddy :P
DGFlyGirl
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Norman, OK
Favorite Disc: 162g LS

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am

Yeah there's lots of different ways to go about multi colored dyes. We all have our own preferences and unique styles that work for us. Chuck has some really sick looking colored jobs that's he's got in his portfolio. I dabble in it a bit, but try to stray away if possible.

My dyes are being unveiled at a tournament this weekend even though people are already asking me for them, so I would like to get some technique tried out before I start getting hit up for orders.

Technique and process are definitely important. You need to have your dye process down to a science and have experience with not only what works, but what wont work and why it wont. You're gonna find out things by trial and error. My latest "wtf moment" was figuring out that the newest runs of Champion have difficulty dying the outer wing of the plastic.

I do dyes for $$$, but it's not like I'm making a killing off it. There's threads here on DGR explaining how there just isn't a ton of money to be made from it. You need a connection with a good hook up on plastic, cheap prices, and a way to be SUPER EFFICIENT with getting dyes done. Otherwise you're spending a few hours on a disc for a measly 7 bucks profit.
THe plotter helps a ton, but you'll honestly make more money with doing vinyl on a plotter than with dyes.
The amount of effort and time to dye a disc will rarely ever become worth more than what people will pay. Just my experience with it. I still enjoy doing the work, but I donate way more dyes than I sell. Even with the cheapest prices on the market and FREE shipping, not a lot of ppl are willing to pay for it.


(Rock Band is another big distraction for me, too)

Try 5 years on and off of Warcraft lol. And the fact that I'm drafting on a computer full time on TOP of WoW just adds to the carpal tunnel excitement.

I know that some people are very proprietary about their methods - a couple of the accomplished fly dyers for example - but if you ever get the time to test out some of those dipping methods and feel generous enough to share what you've learned, I would definitely be interested to know more.

You'll prolly find the widest array of information here on DGR. ChUcK's actually started a Dye FAQ thread here that we're trying to get tons of info into. Ive been meaning to post more stuff in it but been busy, and I know he's been MEGA busy with school.

Has anyone actually tested the effectiveness of the vinyl dye that is used for detailing auto plastic and electronics plastic? It's not a paint per se, which I know is not PDGA approved, but it's like an aerosoled dye - common brands are Duplicolor, Magix, Plastikote, or SEM?

Someone's actually posted it on the forums, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd say do a search for it here, but our search function on DGR's been broken for a good while. If I can get my hands on some I'm willing to buy it and test it out. I'm really interested in seeing if white would work, but I'm not too confident in it. Someone here used white leather dye once, and said it faded pretty fast.
I did some research a while back and read that white was pretty much impossible to dye or impregnate into materials.


Our local scene is lacking in women as well, and (being young and single) it's kind of surprising to me. What woman DOESN'T want to play a sport that's 92% male? ;) Then again, it's for that reason that I do not just introduce ANY woman to the sport.... I actually play. I'm not just a beer and disc caddy :P

This has recently been discussed too here on DGR. A lot of women get discouraged with such a male dominated sport. If they'd play in tourneys and see that "MOST" of the community is positive about wanting them to come out and get into the sport they prolly wouldn't be so discouraged. Most of my ex girlfriends that I've taken to play hated it. One told me I was just playing fetch with myself and a disc and it was dumb. Another was mesmerized to see me throw a disc 400 feet and wanted to play instantly.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:37 pm
Location: Lafayette, LA
Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby DGFlyGirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote: I do dyes for $$$, but it's not like I'm making a killing off it. There's threads here on DGR explaining how there just isn't a ton of money to be made from it. You need a connection with a good hook up on plastic, cheap prices, and a way to be SUPER EFFICIENT with getting dyes done. Otherwise you're spending a few hours on a disc for a measly 7 bucks profit.

THe plotter helps a ton, but you'll honestly make more money with doing vinyl on a plotter than with dyes.

The amount of effort and time to dye a disc will rarely ever become worth more than what people will pay. Just my experience with it. I still enjoy doing the work, but I donate way more dyes than I sell. Even with the cheapest prices on the market and FREE shipping, not a lot of ppl are willing to pay for it.


I do have a connection (like I said, at the local disc golf store), and the nice thing is that, at least at first, these people are more interested in having their 'signature' (people are strange about writing names, they would rather have a weird hourglass with a line running through it to signify their nicknames), basic colors, and - most importantly for the small tournaments around here - prize discs dyed with '1st Place', etc.

As an example, when I told the groups around here that I had the ability to do more than one color and still charge less than the only dyeing business out here (not going to say the name...I don't want to downplay anyone else), they were extremely excited. So I'm not looking at incredibly complex designs, which is why I was interested in a plotter. I just need the ability to make the stencils fast, because what people want is actually fairly basic.

Once I have the ability (and by ability, I mean financially) to make my own order, the store will let me place my own bulk order through them, so at least I'll be doubling my profit margin that way....buying the discs for 8.75 (shipping included in that) and selling for $20-$25.

And more than anything, because I know I will be dyeing the discs anyway, at least I can get paid enough to cover the supplies and maybe even a portion of my time. However, my ultimate goal for making a name with my 'disc dyeing' company, is because I want to open a true, dedicated, disc golf store in this area. They're building two more courses in the next two years, so between the Norman area and the Oklahoma City area, there will be nearly 10 courses. It's going to popularize the game, and you'd think there was a dedicated STORE that sold Keene shoes, Underarmor, Fade/Innova/Revolution bags, and baskets in addition to discs, but there isn't. So the company recognition is the key factor here.

This has recently been discussed too here on DGR. A lot of women get discouraged with such a male dominated sport. If they'd play in tourneys and see that "MOST" of the community is positive about wanting them to come out and get into the sport they prolly wouldn't be so discouraged. Most of my ex girlfriends that I've taken to play hated it. One told me I was just playing fetch with myself and a disc and it was dumb. Another was mesmerized to see me throw a disc 400 feet and wanted to play instantly.


The only times I have been discouraged lately was when I finally realized why my midrange game was not improving at the same rate as my drives or putting. I play with a lot of very accomplished male golfers - usually in dubs rounds. So, I drive, they drive, and we inevitably end up taking their lie instead of mine. Then, they let me putt it out. I [b]rarely[\b] get a chance to throw a shot between 70-120 feet.

Every now and then, someone will make a crack about throwing from the ladies' tee, which I (sometimes not so gently) remind them that an appropriate term would be 'am pad' or something similar.

But I don't begrudge anyone saying 'you throw like a girl'. I may not be able to drive 400', but if you ask me to nail a pine cone hanging off a limb at 50 feet a way, I'd take you up on that bet. When someone says they throw like a girl, I take that to mean they are more accurate than powerful.

That being said, I do not appreciate women who come out to the course and just stand around. I understand that their significant other is out there, but if you're desperate enough to come out and join them on the course in the first place, why not pick up a disc (without complaint or degrading remarks) and give it a good ol' fashioned try....and for more than just 15 minutes one afternoon?

And from the single perspective, what girl doesn't want to be surrounded by dozens of outdoorsy guys with little competition? ;) Maybe I'm just a go-getter that way, but I can't pass up that opportunity....

How many women play in your area? There are only 12 or 13 who play consistently in Oklahoma, and I'm one of the only ones in the Norman area that plays daily anymore and enters everything.
DGFlyGirl
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Norman, OK
Favorite Disc: 162g LS

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby riverboy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38 pm

DGFlyGirl wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote: I do dyes for $$$, but it's not like I'm making a killing off it. There's threads here on DGR explaining how there just isn't a ton of money to be made from it. You need a connection with a good hook up on plastic, cheap prices, and a way to be SUPER EFFICIENT with getting dyes done. Otherwise you're spending a few hours on a disc for a measly 7 bucks profit.

THe plotter helps a ton, but you'll honestly make more money with doing vinyl on a plotter than with dyes.

The amount of effort and time to dye a disc will rarely ever become worth more than what people will pay. Just my experience with it. I still enjoy doing the work, but I donate way more dyes than I sell. Even with the cheapest prices on the market and FREE shipping, not a lot of ppl are willing to pay for it.


I do have a connection (like I said, at the local disc golf store), and the nice thing is that, at least at first, these people are more interested in having their 'signature' (people are strange about writing names, they would rather have a weird hourglass with a line running through it to signify their nicknames), basic colors, and - most importantly for the small tournaments around here - prize discs dyed with '1st Place', etc.

As an example, when I told the groups around here that I had the ability to do more than one color and still charge less than the only dyeing business out here (not going to say the name...I don't want to downplay anyone else), they were extremely excited. So I'm not looking at incredibly complex designs, which is why I was interested in a plotter. I just need the ability to make the stencils fast, because what people want is actually fairly basic.

Once I have the ability (and by ability, I mean financially) to make my own order, the store will let me place my own bulk order through them, so at least I'll be doubling my profit margin that way....buying the discs for 8.75 (shipping included in that) and selling for $20-$25.

And more than anything, because I know I will be dyeing the discs anyway, at least I can get paid enough to cover the supplies and maybe even a portion of my time. However, my ultimate goal for making a name with my 'disc dyeing' company, is because I want to open a true, dedicated, disc golf store in this area. They're building two more courses in the next two years, so between the Norman area and the Oklahoma City area, there will be nearly 10 courses. It's going to popularize the game, and you'd think there was a dedicated STORE that sold Keene shoes, Underarmor, Fade/Innova/Revolution bags, and baskets in addition to discs, but there isn't. So the company recognition is the key factor here.

This has recently been discussed too here on DGR. A lot of women get discouraged with such a male dominated sport. If they'd play in tourneys and see that "MOST" of the community is positive about wanting them to come out and get into the sport they prolly wouldn't be so discouraged. Most of my ex girlfriends that I've taken to play hated it. One told me I was just playing fetch with myself and a disc and it was dumb. Another was mesmerized to see me throw a disc 400 feet and wanted to play instantly.


The only times I have been discouraged lately was when I finally realized why my midrange game was not improving at the same rate as my drives or putting. I play with a lot of very accomplished male golfers - usually in dubs rounds. So, I drive, they drive, and we inevitably end up taking their lie instead of mine. Then, they let me putt it out. I [b]rarely[\b] get a chance to throw a shot between 70-120 feet.

Every now and then, someone will make a crack about throwing from the ladies' tee, which I (sometimes not so gently) remind them that an appropriate term would be 'am pad' or something similar.

But I don't begrudge anyone saying 'you throw like a girl'. I may not be able to drive 400', but if you ask me to nail a pine cone hanging off a limb at 50 feet a way, I'd take you up on that bet. When someone says they throw like a girl, I take that to mean they are more accurate than powerful.

That being said, I do not appreciate women who come out to the course and just stand around. I understand that their significant other is out there, but if you're desperate enough to come out and join them on the course in the first place, why not pick up a disc (without complaint or degrading remarks) and give it a good ol' fashioned try....and for more than just 15 minutes one afternoon?

And from the single perspective, what girl doesn't want to be surrounded by dozens of outdoorsy guys with little competition? ;) Maybe I'm just a go-getter that way, but I can't pass up that opportunity....

How many women play in your area? There are only 12 or 13 who play consistently in Oklahoma, and I'm one of the only ones in the Norman area that plays daily anymore and enters everything.

Well said. To answer your last question I can only think of two serious players in my town. I would consider your area lucky. :lol:
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Jamestown ND
Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests