Requesting Art Work

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Requesting Art Work

Postby black udder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:35 pm

okay - putting out a request for a stamp - I can't afford much and the tournament is in June, so I imagine the disc order would have to be in early May or something.

I have a CFR Champ Gator, 175g new
$30
3 discs from the run - they will all be Discraft and they will probably be ESP, FLX, Z, Crystal, etc.

Some mix of the above, but not all three...

I can give the molds later if I get any volunteers.

it's for the Battlefield Open in VA.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Requesting Art Work

Postby Leopard » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Whomever can take this gig, I'm available for technical assistance and post-processing :)

BATTLEFIELD... c'mon this is a goldmine!!!

good luck udder!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:37 am

Need final design by about April 23...Chris orders a LOT of discs, so the stamp will see lots of bags for quite a while....
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby marmoset » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:42 pm

PMed
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Marmoset has an awesome design - but I'm posting this here to see what the general feedback is from others.

The stamp will be going on Discraft discs, so is anybody familiar with their specific requirements? Marmoset have you done stamps that went on their discs?

Just looking for feedback/experiences from others. I don't think Chris has had much luck with stamps in the past, so he's gone pretty basic, nothing cool like the recent DGR stamp.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

black udder wrote:Marmoset has an awesome design - but I'm posting this here to see what the general feedback is from others.

The stamp will be going on Discraft discs, so is anybody familiar with their specific requirements? Marmoset have you done stamps that went on their discs?

Just looking for feedback/experiences from others. I don't think Chris has had much luck with stamps in the past, so he's gone pretty basic, nothing cool like the recent DGR stamp.

I've done enough with DC to know their limitations, and I'm working with Marmoset to make sure the design will look its best. (and yeah, it's kickass!)
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby marmoset » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

I have talked with ZAM and I'm waiting for a response from Discraft.
I can see some potential technical issues and ZAM has already suggested something.
The file I sent you is a concept and not meant to be final bby any stretch of the imagination. I just wanted to know if we were on the right track.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

PM
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 pm

marmoset wrote:I have talked with ZAM and I'm waiting for a response from Discraft.
I can see some potential technical issues and ZAM has already suggested something.
The file I sent you is a concept and not meant to be final bby any stretch of the imagination. I just wanted to know if we were on the right track.

It looks great. Some of the stuff I'm asking has more to do with general knowledge than this project. I have no doubt this will be great.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

black udder wrote:Some of the stuff I'm asking has more to do with general knowledge than this project.

whatcha wanna know?
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Black Udder-
PMed
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Leopard wrote:
black udder wrote:Some of the stuff I'm asking has more to do with general knowledge than this project.

whatcha wanna know?

I've only bought discs with stamps on them, never actually gone through the process of any artwork or ordering, so I was wondering if there is somewhere with the requirements, what's good/bad, etc. Chris has always bitched about how poor the translation is from art to stamp (but then again, he does complain a lot anyway).

I've seen some really crazy designs/stamps - some by you (ZAM) - so I don't know why stuff like the chains had to be simplified in Marmoset's drawing. How do they actually put the stamp on the disc, what file format is preferred? Are all the majors (GDS, Innova, Discraft, etc.) do they use the same process or are they different (i.e. does one do better than another, do they ask for different file formats).

What kind of things work well vs stay away from... have people submitted stamp designs and they've come back like crap on the discs? Or do the companies typically let you know it's gonna be bad before the stamp?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby marmoset » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 pm

black udder wrote:I don't know why stuff like the chains had to be simplified in Marmoset's drawing.

The chains left only tiny negative spaces (spaces designed to be unstamped). The foil would have accidentally adhered to these spaces and bridged the gap.
How do they actually put the stamp on the disc

The electronic art file is cut out of a steel plate. This plate is heated up. Foil is placed between the heated plate and the disc, the plate gets pressed down to the disc. In Gateway's hot-stamping technique, the plate almost gets pushed through the disc :lol: . You now have a foil stamp adhered to the disc wherever the metal touched. Tiny details like a really small circle that is intended to be unstamped (intended to be left as the natural disc color) might have enough heat from the plate around it to accidentally adhere the foil over the small opening.
Or do the companies typically let you know it's gonna be bad before the stamp?

It seems like it would be to their advantage to let you know if your file is bunk. Bad hot-stamp design means more X-outs for them and less profit. I don't know if they tell you, but it seems to me like they should.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Leopard » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 pm

^^ all true

Yeah they will warn you about problem spots in the file.

It's kinda trial and error with breaking the guidelines or ignoring their concerns. Each company is different too ... you'll find my Innova stuff is ridiculously detailed whereas my Gateway stuff is more bold and sparse.

Discraft can't handle smallish white areas (non-stamped).

Innova is by far the Cadillac of stamping. DC has a smaller print area, fugly added logos; Gateway can't do detail at all. Innova does a perfectly pressured, clean stamp at 5.25" vs DC's 4.75 I think.

Every manufacter has an art submission page with requirements.

As for the machine, my buddy runs one as Chief Stamping Stamper. It uses a time setting.. different application times for different plastic. I've seen him burn through a disc before... it's pretty cool.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby FierceTable » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:18 pm

http://innova.creativeoverdose.com/cust ... guide.html

This isn't that detailed, but if Innova is one of the best, here's a rough outline of the limits. Obviously you'd need to contact them to find out specific information, but it offers some general guidelines to think about.
FierceTable
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Disc Artwork