I jumped in this week, this is lotsa fun. I don't see how any disc in my house will survive with its stamp intact after this.
I've been collecting materials for a few months here and there, few tools from the art supply place, some vinyl off eBay. Last week I made a rudimentary light table, got the last few items and this week I finally got to put it all to use.Special note of thanks:
To anyone that's posted tutorials and logged their experiences, thank you. Also, the night before I made my first cut, I watched ChUcK & some call me...tim?'s 101 and 102 tutorials again all the way through. By the time I was ready to get to it, I felt more confident at every stage since I knew where things were headed, and I remembered a bunch of details I would've forgotten if I hadn't done the refresher. Nice work on the video's fellas, and thank you.
First shot was a green Champion 11x Teebird of the translucent variety, seasoned but with a pretty clean flight plate:
My lines weren't perfect, and I dragged some of the islands by cutting harder than required. I also made initial contact with the vinyl a little off-center and had to go with it. But the transfer was perfect, no bubbles, no bleeds, and I'm delighted with how it came out.
The next attempt was applied to an orange S-PD, thrown but also in pretty good shape on the top. The black zombie stamp left a couple hairlines in some spots, it was definitely a deeper stamp than the Teebird. But the knife started feeling natural, the transfer was dead-on, and the dye came out great. I have no complaints.
I'll post my step-by-steps and lessons learned later on, but I wanted to get these up and say thanks to the artist-slash-dye-pushers here for givin' me a new pursuit for my wife to roll her eyes at. And then I'll have to go back through the library here, I think it's time for some color.