Liquid Rit and airbrush?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Liquid Rit and airbrush?

Postby Itchy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:44 pm

OK, this might be kind of stupid and I have mixed feeling on it. Could you airbrush liquid Rit onto a stenciled disc? I know people paint on liquid Rit instead of hot dipping on a stove, but could you airbrush it instead of painting it? Anybody heard/seen somebody do it?

PROs: I think it'd make color blending super easy

CONs: Normally you have to have a lot of Rit on a spot and let it sit to make it stick... would an airbrush get enough dye on the disc?

I was just wondering if it's been done and didn't work before I ruin a disc.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Liquid Rit and airbrush?

Postby eky8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 pm

I haven't tried. With painting you need a thicker dye. I use laundry detergent and mix with rit. Then let it sit for days. I think if you airbrush you would still have to let it sit for days. And it might be too runny if it is straight liquid rit.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby Itchy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 am

I've read of people mixing rubbing alcohol with liquid Rit and then painting it on... didn't know you have to let it sit for days to make it stick though.

What if you airbrush it, then put it upside down in simmering water?

It's starting to sound like this is a bad idea...
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby eky8 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:41 pm

You can use acetone to paint. And it dyes very quickly. When I used this early in my dying trials I found it very difficult to get an even color. But I know quite a few people who still do this and it works well. It also bled very easy. Just make sure you don't leave it on too long because acetone will ruin your disc if you leave it on too long. I was also mixing with powder rit. I don't have too many pictures of what it looked like because I wasn't happy with my results. :? However you could very easily do it that way. Just not sure how it would work out as I've never tried it. Some times I forget about the acetone painting method because I was so unhappy with it. But it actually does work and can work very well.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Itchy wrote:...What if you airbrush it, then put it upside down in simmering water?

It's starting to sound like this is a bad idea...

I would think that once you set it in the water it would start to wash the dye away.
"I don't know who started it and I don't give a f***. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us." - Stevo, SLC Punk
Mad Scientist
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby erikasha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 am

liquid is as like as airbrush it is quality detergent specially for laundry. :)
erikasha
Noob

Favorite Disc: golf

Postby bigmanbailye » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:28 pm

On phone so I can't be too chatty.
I do airbrushing, here is a link

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=31609
bigmanbailye
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby swel304 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 pm

I have tried painting with a regular brush/acetone and it always came out splotchy and grainy. I have heard of mixing dish washing liquid to the dye to thicken it up and I would think that would be the only direction for making the dye more like ab paint. That said, if you cant draw a line with it (through the airbrush) I don't really think it would be worth all the hassle and extra cleanup. That and if you are planning to spray on a vinyl mask then you don't want to use a solvent like cause it would eat the glue side and create bleeding.

Ive always wanted to be able to do this though. I have painted discs for tourney prizes and jokes for friends but of course once the paint is on them they are no longer legal for play.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Return to Disc Artwork