What program to use?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What program to use?

Postby victorb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 am

For those people that do a lot of stamp artwork, what's your computer program of choice? I'm seriously considering getting into stamp creation, and my wife does a lot of work making brochures, school projects, and tournament programs.

Give me some good recommendations!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: What program to use?

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 am

Any vector based program will work. The usual suspects are Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape and while not vector based Photoshop and Gimp.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm

inkscape and illustrator = teebird

photoshop = eagle
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 am

Leopard wrote:inkscape and illustrator = teebird

photoshop = eagle

any particular versions of photoshop I should look for that are good for stamp creation as well as photo editing? Not looking to drop a huge amount of money and there are lots of box versions out there so any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JHern » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

victorb wrote:
Leopard wrote:inkscape and illustrator = teebird

photoshop = eagle

any particular versions of photoshop I should look for that are good for stamp creation as well as photo editing? Not looking to drop a huge amount of money and there are lots of box versions out there so any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Photoshop (bitmap-based) doesn't include a great deal of vector editing capability, since Adobe doesn't want it to overlap too much with Illustrator (vector-based).

After converting artwork for stamps and such a number of times from bitmap to raster, I would highly recommend people STOP COMPOSING DISC STAMP ARTWORK USING BITMAP IMAGES!!! :twisted:

Note that Illustrator is expensive to buy, but it is the bee's knees. It is a critical tool for me in my work, as well.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Leopard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36 pm

for most people, Illustrator or a comparable vector program will produce fewer issues after submission. AI compositions have their own set of downfalls too -- not outlining fonts or expanding appearances can wreck shit.

regarding versions of Photoshop, i honestly don't know what all non-premium versions are out there now. i'd bet the ranch that even PS Elements or whatever entry-level version they have will do everything you'd need for photo editing and some design. as they go up in price/complexity, it just includes more and more wild-ass features that most people don't use (and go way beyond normal imaging).

regarding stamp-making in PS...
composing in Photoshop is an expert-level approach, as is designing with PS/AI in tandem using embedded files. i haven't submitted a vector file for a stamp master in about 3 years, either to a manufacturer or directly to the engraver. if you read the Stamp Guidelines doc from any manufacturer, even the one that i wrote for DN, you won't find these practices endorsed.
PS for better stamp design: you must know exactly what you're doing, so it's not for most people.

victorb wrote:For those people that do a lot of stamp artwork, what's your computer program of choice?

my program of choice is Photoshop CS4 or above, but vector programs are more widely appropriate
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Return to Disc Artwork