ChUcK's latest dye...

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: ChUcK's latest dye...

Postby Luv2Disc » Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm

ChUcK wrote:Interestingly, the squares were leaving some adhesive goober on the disc as I weeded it, and the laundry soap seems to eat right through that and dye the disc underneath anyways. For any multicolor dyers, you may also know the frustrations of intermediate-stage weeding instances when your vinyl takes an adhesive number two on your friend's plastic, blocking further dye unless evasive actions are carried out. This could be very important, and will need some further testing with crap vinyl.

Is there anyway this can be avoided? I've been having the same trouble with mine, I ordered some of that Oracle 651 vinyl which is pretty decent stuff. It always seems to leave adhesive right under the "peeling point" of the vinyl. I'm very leery about using an adhesive remover to clean the excess goo from the weeding process since it could loosen the contact of the vinyl and allow bleeding.

I've been experimenting with cooling down the disc before weeding and unwrapping at different temps to hopefully find a preventative step to eliminate the hassle of using goo gone and a buncha Q-tips :twisted: before dipping!!! Results to come!

What kind of vinyl are you using ChUcK :?:
PDGA #39548 aka " The Machete "

~ Flying High Disc Golf ~
~ 5 ONE 5 Disc Golf ~

Carroll Marty DG video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjmyz5yqog
Luv2Disc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft ESP Force

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm using Oracal 641 clear vinyl.

Here's an Excalibur Xcaliber I designed for a buddy of mine who is into dyes-
Only he who pulls this disc out of a Carolina shall be named King...
If only every course had a Lady of the Lake to hand back your Xcal whenever you cast it into the watery depths...

Fun, huh? :D

And, because I am an impatient bastard, I took a mid-process pic of ...tim?'s star Orc. There is still a lot of black highlights (lowlights?) to be added later. I'm sure you can guess what it is...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Luv2Disc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:37 pm

"Who is Sauron"? from lord of the rings? Final answer.. :idea:

I was waiting for someone to do a sword dye on an Xcal! I really dig the angle you have the sword set at. I think the idea behind a dye is as important as the skill to cut it out. Keep'em comin ChUcK :mrgreen:
PDGA #39548 aka " The Machete "

~ Flying High Disc Golf ~
~ 5 ONE 5 Disc Golf ~

Carroll Marty DG video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjmyz5yqog
Luv2Disc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft ESP Force

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 pm

You got it 8)

This is a 64-point compass rose, and was quite the hassle to design/cut/weed, but was fun anyways. Interestingly, the way I have it drawn, the needle points of the triangles create a checkerboard-ish pattern, where no color shares a border with a triangle of like color.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:18 am

Im definitely diggin the brush stuff lately. After doing my Red/orange phoenix on that lightning disc, I've been wanting to do another blended red/fire dye again. Shit's wicked
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby sunspot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:07 pm

ChUcK wrote:You got it 8)

This is a 64-point compass rose, and was quite the hassle to design/cut/weed, but was fun anyways. Interestingly, the way I have it drawn, the needle points of the triangles create a checkerboard-ish pattern, where no color shares a border with a triangle of like color.

This is sick!!!
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby BennettUA » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Just....don't.....stop........:::drools on the laptop:::........dyeing...............
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Postby ChUcK » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for the props, I'm really digging this technique as well. Here's one I just finished. I tried to make it look like there was some sort of light source inside the sphere, almost got it but not quite.

ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 pm

I had a bit of a near-disaster with the Eye of Sauron- when I put it in the pan to blacken the wing, the suction cup I was using came right off after the disc was safely floating. I had a little brainstorm and decided that the vacuum cleaner was my best bet to get the disc out of the pan safely. When I went to suck it out, the vacuum nozzle grabbed hold of the disc so violently that it dipped half of the flight plate in the black rit. I swaddled the disc in paper towels and rushed it to the sink, and the dye washed right off. Thanks goodness, it would have been a shame to ruin this baby.

Sauron can see you, Frodo! Take off the ring!

Hmmm, the lack of sunlight is doing my photography skills no justice...
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 pm

... I think I'm going to have to send you my whole bag at some point...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Flipflat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 pm

ChUcK wrote:I had a bit of a near-disaster with the Eye of Sauron- when I put it in the pan to blacken the wing, the suction cup I was using came right off after the disc was safely floating. I had a little brainstorm and decided that the vacuum cleaner was my best bet to get the disc out of the pan safely. When I went to suck it out, the vacuum nozzle grabbed hold of the disc so violently that it dipped half of the flight plate in the black rit. I swaddled the disc in paper towels and rushed it to the sink, and the dye washed right off. Thanks goodness, it would have been a shame to ruin this baby.

Sauron can see you, Frodo! Take off the ring!

Hmmm, the lack of sunlight is doing my photography skills no justice...

I got to say that's a outstanding dye job, the coloring is incredible. Kind of reminds me of the tribal butthole thing you were doing earlier, without the tribal part. :lol:
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:17 pm

You don't press your fingers against the inside of the rim to remove and place the disc ChUck?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby whridlsoncestood » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 pm

I believe he was doing the rim on the underside of the disc so it was floating face up. No way to grab that one without sticking your hands in rit
whridlsoncestood
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Valkarie

Postby ChUcK » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 pm

yup. The disc was flight plate up, and I was freaking out.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Gotcha, can't see the images thanks to firewall at work. That IS a predicament.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Artwork