Pulling Disc From Dye

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pulling Disc From Dye

Postby innovadude » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm

i am having trouble pulling the disc from the pan. in the three that i have done, i have managed to get dye on the bottom of the disc. any tips on not doing this? thanks
innovadude
Tree Magnet

Postby plshrk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Make sure you have a good amount of contact paper underneath the disc to grab onto.
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby disctribution » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 pm

put your hands together backwards like you're seperating the red sea, use firm pressure against the inside of the rim and carefully lift the disc out. An easier method is to use your vinyl or contact paper excess as handles and pull the disc out that way. The big trick is to wash all the dye off ASAP and keep your fingers clean. One dirty finger can ruin a good dye job.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 pm

I always fold my excess vinyl over on itself for handy handles underneath the disc. this is the only way I can guarantee that I won't drop the disc in the dye, which happened a few times early on.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Fasteddy411 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:49 am

I just use a piece of masking tape and make two little handle across the back of the disc.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:26 am

If you get dye on the back of the disc, is there any way to get it off? I got a big blob of dye on the back of a champion teebird dye last night, and while it's very faint, you can see it through the disc. I rinsed it off right away, but it was too late. I thought I read about someone using acetone to remove it...has anyone tried that? I don't have any experience with acetone, I just use magic erasers to get the stamps off (which works awesome, by the way, red stamp came off a light yellow disc with no trace of color smearing).
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby disctribution » Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am

I have used acetone on the backs of disc to "clean up" dye splashed and dye fingerprints, but even with acetone, it will not get it all off. If it's already faint, you might be able to make it less noticeable. My experience says it wont come ALL the way off, but may be faint enough not to notice. Over time it will fade as well. Good luck.

P.S. No matter how annoying the stain is, don't leave the acetone on the disc for more than 10 seconds as it will start eating away at your plastic. And be very careful not to let the acetone get on the front of your disc, it will definitely ruin any artwork it touches.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot, see how it goes. BTW, when you apply the acetone, do you pour it on the disc, or do you put it on a cloth and wipe? And, will the acetone ruin the cloth I'm using?
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby ChUcK » Wed May 07, 2008 12:52 pm

paper towels, man, paper towels
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby almiller » Wed May 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Like the guyy said about parting the red sea, that works. Another way to explain it, pretend your randy moss celebrating a touchdown

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G ... 2_4217.jpg
I dont play because Im good, or because I want to be good, I play because I can.
almiller
Noob

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 am

almiller wrote:Like the guyy said about parting the red sea, that works. Another way to explain it, pretend your randy moss celebrating a touchdown

Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby almiller » Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Thank you, I dont know how to do pictures like that ^^
I dont play because Im good, or because I want to be good, I play because I can.
almiller
Noob

Return to Disc Artwork