My dye process

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My dye process

Postby spitfire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 pm

This is a small "how to" I put together for dying disc. I am not a pro at this but have put together a simple process to get some nice dye jobs. I got a lot of info on how to do this from a couple diferent websites and thought I would put it all together here.

Step 1
Find the design that you want to use. For your first dye I would do something on the easy side.

Step 2
You will want to setup a light box. I used a piece of glass, work lamp and 2 boxes to make the light box as seen below.

Step 3.
Tape your design onto the glass.

Step 4.
Tape on a piece of contact paper over your design on turn on the light so you can trace the design onto the contact paper.

This is what you should have after you trace the design onto the contact paper.

Step 5.
Use an exacto knife, I like the pen style, to cut out the stencil.

Step 6.
Once you cut out the design you want to apply masking tape over the stencil. What you are doing is making a "transfer tape" this keeps all the small pieces in place when transfering the stencil to the disc.

Step 7.
Cut the stencil inside the tape lines so you have something like this.

Step 8.
Now you want to take the stamp off your disc. I like to use laquer thinner but you can also use acetone or carb cleaner.

Step 9.
Now flip the stencil over and start taking off the backing of the contact paper. Start from the inside and work your way out.

This is what it should look like when you take all the backing off.

Step 10.
Apply the stencil to the disk.

Step 11.
Peel off the masking tape making sure the contact paper stays attached to the disc

Step 12.
Once all the masking tape is off now you want to take off the contact paper in the areas that you want the dye to be.

Step 13.
You want to make sure the entire disc is covered by contact paper.

Step 14.
I like to use masking tape to make little handles on the bottom of the disc for putting it into the dye..

Step 15.
This is the dye that you want to use.

Step 16.
You want to bring a pot of water to a boil, then add the dye. I use the whole bag of dye. After you add the dye to the boiling water. Turn off the heat to the water and little site for 10-15 minutes. If you put the disc in when the water is to hot it can start to peel up the contact paper and you will have bleeding. Then just float the disc in the dye. I like to keep it in for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes take the disc out of the dye and run it under a steady stream of cold water. Then peel off the contact paper and dry the disc and this is what you will end up with.

I know there is already a tutorial on here but if your like me, the more ideas you see the easier things become.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Explain to me the masking tape. What does it do again? Transfer Tape?
I don't understand how the layer of masking tape keeps everything together.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby spitfire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:53 pm

After your stencil is cutout you apply the over the contact paper. That way, when you remove the backing on the contact paper no little pieces will be lost and also makes applying the stencil much easier to avoid wrinkles and to get perfect alignment.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby stoneman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Someone else mentioned the masking tape (blue specifically), and that looks like a great idea. I've got to stop cutting on my discs. :shock:

Nice "poor man's lightbox" as well...I"m gonna try that.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby spitfire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:11 pm

Yeah it really does help and no more cutting on the disc. You can get just as much detail using this method as if you were cutting on the disc. I usually do use the blue painters tape but I was out of it when I did the write up. This tutorial was actually completed back in Sept 07 that I posted on another site.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:37 pm

spitfire wrote:Yeah it really does help and no more cutting on the disc. You can get just as much detail using this method as if you were cutting on the disc. I usually do use the blue painters tape but I was out of it when I did the write up. This tutorial was actually completed back in Sept 07 that I posted on another site.

Interesting, I'll have to try this. Bet that's a good way to get the great perfect circles.

Which side of the contact paper do you put the tape on?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby disctribution » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm

You can do a search for 12" transfer tape or 12" masking tape on ebay. The 12" rolls are about $15 and will last a loooong time. It makes masking your design very easy.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork