Is the dye permanent?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is the dye permanent?

Postby isotopic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:37 pm

I didn't see any other questions about this...

I tried to dye my first disk about 2 weeks ago following Will T.'s "how to" on this website. I started w/ a white Avenger and used Acetone to remove all logos. I then used a dark green to dye a logo on my disk. However, the disk did not turn out how I wanted. I then dyed the disk completely black, by using "RiteDye" (however, it's more of a purple color).

If I use a light color, say tan or light blue, will it cover the now purplish/black disk? or just add more confusion? Is there anything that can remove all colors from the disk? Acetone wont do it, what about methylene chloride?

Thanks
isotopic
Noob

Postby cmlasley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:23 pm

I wouldn't say that Rit on discs is permanent, because it will bleed into the disc and fade in the sun, as well.

However, there is no going back. Since you dyed it black it will stay dark and eventually probably turn a light grayish color.

Edit for more clarity: Redying it will not change the color. Light colors dyed on dark colors just don't show up or make the dye darker. Everything eventually goes dark brown.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Return to Disc Artwork