Dip dying disc edges

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dip dying disc edges

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 am

I'm a noob at dying, and the ones I've tried this far have used various brush-on, drip-on dye application methods. I've not dipped any.

My question is regarding discs that have a solid dyed ring around the outer edge of the disc. There is obviously no masking material out there. As such, what do you guys hold onto when you insert/remove discs from the pot? Also, how do you control the depth to which the disc sinks? I'd be concerned about the disc not floating low enough to get dye all the way to the edge of the rim.
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 am

check acidbat's tutorial, if I remember it explains a ton about dip dying and how to protect the parts of the disc you don't want dyed.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 am

I've read the tutorial, but in his example he has the edges masked. I'm asking about handling unmasked edges. I've seen examples on here done by Acid and others who have done what I'm talking about.
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Postby stoneman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 am

I just mask the under side of the disk, and then use some of the masking material to make a couple little handles, and stick those to the back of the disk. You can put one in the center, but I like the control of having one handle on each side.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:15 am

How low do discs sit in the pot? Do you ever have to weight them to get them deep enough for full coverage of the rim?
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Postby disctribution » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I have weighed discs down before by setting a glass in the inside of the disc. If I'm dying the edges, I typically don't care if the underside get's dyed or not, so I'll set the disc in with the dome facing up and swirl the hot dye around. This gives a beautiful smooth finish with very little chance of air pockets messing your design up. I'll also mask the inside of the bottom in case I want to write my name or something on it later.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby stoneman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:36 pm

A couple times I needed to weight the disc to get it to sink enough, and I just slowly added water to the inside of the disc until it floated at the level I wanted.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Disc Artwork