Quick question: Dying an entire disc

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Quick question: Dying an entire disc

Postby TannerBoyle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Let's say I want to take a white Star plastic disc and dye the entire thing (top and bottom).

How would one go about that? Just submerge the entire disc in a pan of dye?
Throwing seven different kinds of smoke since 2006.
Gramps and Cramps '08
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:45 pm

yup. It's as simple as that
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby TannerBoyle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:57 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:yup. It's as simple as that

Awesome. Going to attempt my first dye job tonight.

Sidenote: I told my wife that I'm going to the local craft store in a few minutes. She saw what site I was on and said "What are you going to do? Decorate your frisbee golf purse?"

She's a real card.
Throwing seven different kinds of smoke since 2006.
Gramps and Cramps '08
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby k-os » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:02 pm

I would use the ziplock bag method. A lot easier than trying to get it to sit in the bottom of the pan. Fill a gallon ziplock bag up with hot water, pour in your rit powder, put the disc in, and I let it sit over night.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby Fasteddy411 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:10 pm

i have no problem getting the disc to stay in the bottom of the pan, you just put it dome down and let the back fill up with the dye.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Postby k-os » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I suppose that works fine, but if you don't have a pan you can use the Ziplock bag always works well.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:16 pm

I've got a little experience with the pain and suffering spilled dye can bring. Putting RIT dye in a ziploc :shock: bag sounds like the third worst idea I've ever heard. Perhaps if you have a big junk washbasin in your basement/garage this messy procedure would be okay, but for the rest of us who must do this in the kitchen, keep your liquid dye in an 8-quart spaghetti pot (only a couple inches of dye) and be careful, so friggin' careful.

You can pick up an 8-quart pot at any thrift store to destroy as you please, and it's roughly 5,729 times less likely to leak than a ziplock.

Plus, it sounds like the last step of the ziploc procedure is to dump the dye out of the bag down the drain. That's wasteful. Keep a pot of dye in the garage with the lid taped shut over some cellophane (for a good seal, and so the water doesn't evaporate away) so you can dye whenever. I used the same two boxes of black RIT for over a year- just keep adding more water as level goes down.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby k-os » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 am

I take the dye from the bag into a container. I use freezer bags whenever I'm doing a full disc dye.
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:24 am

I started out using ziplock bags.
I used double layered ones. The problem with the bags is that you'd sometimes get pieces of the disc floating or touching the bag. And it wouldn't dye in that spot. If you got air bubbles in it, or the disc wasn't completely surrounded by dye, it wouldn't dye evenly.
It's a lot easier to do it in a pan because you know the entire time it's submerged. Also, it's so much faster since you can heat the dye up a lot hotter.
When I was using ziplocks, Id leave it in the bag for 12+ hours.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby SiDeArM jUnKiE » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Heres my question: I like my day glow yellow Star Teerex but they are hard to come by, so how can I get get a similar color by dying the discs? Do I need to get a white disc and mix yellow and green dyes or get a yellow disc and dye it green? What say you dye masters?
The glare from my head will blind you
SiDeArM jUnKiE
Tree Magnet

Postby Roy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:07 pm

I dont think flourescents are really possible w/ rit dye.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Paintball1084 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:21 pm

how do you go about dying a disc two different colors? My brother and I are going to try our first dye job in the next few weeks and we are both wondering this.
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith; buzzz,VP

Postby VADISCgolfer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Would this work dying say, a black (join) PDGA disc to a more noticeable color, white?

Just put die in a pan and turn up the heat?
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Postby disctribution » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 pm

There is no way to dye a disc a lighter color than it already is. To my knowledge, you can not bleach a disc white either, so you're pretty stuck with a black disc.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby chunk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 am

i gotta ask... why would anyone want a black disc? with the frequency i throw them into the woods i'd never find it again. :oops:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Next

Return to Disc Artwork