Dye Dipping and multi colors...

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dye Dipping and multi colors...

Postby Hoey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:34 pm

I understand the whole shading thing with one color, and mixing certain colors to get the opposite colors... but can anyone shed some light as to some of the dyes I've seen that have two (sometimes more) different colors that are practically on top of each other without them bleeding?

I just don't want them fighting.

PS.

Anybody see the dye guy who put the painting "The Scream" on a disc. Drop dead amazing. I'd like to know how the hell he did that. But obviously, I'd start a little simpler.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 am

When dipping it's all just done with masking. If you're doing a red/black dip on a white disc for example, then you mask the disc, take off the parts that will be black, dip the black until that's done, let that dry/set a bit, then unmask the parts that are to be red, and dip it in the red.

Now if black is not one of the colors, and you're doing....say....a green and red dip on white....then you'd have to dip the green parts, then remask the green parts when you dip the red parts.

(I'm not a disc dying expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 am

That pretty much sums it up for multi-color dips. For numerous colors on a single disc I usually "paint" with dyed acetone and a brush. As stated in other posts, though, the acetone'd dye bleeds and fades much faster. The Scream, unfortunately, must not look so hot a few months later. The ones that stand the test of time (relatively) are the black dip-dyes.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 am

That brings up a question, Chuck. Obviously small details and thin lines would be the first to fade, but do you have any pics of dip-dyed discs in various ages of post-dye?

More simply: assuming a fairly blocky, non-detailed black dye, how would it look in 1 year? 2 years? 3?
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 am

I'll see if I can put together some before/after pics. Right now, though, I have to go learn more about determining the volumes of various solids of revolution by means of integration. I hate summer school. So much golf to be had...
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:56 am

I think I have some pix of a few in different stages of progression somewhere at my house.
The Captain America shield I did for a buddy a while back is now PINK instead of Red. PIssed me the hell off when he pulled it out of the bag and I saw it all gay pink colored.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Return to Disc Artwork