Ghost Dye

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ghost Dye

Postby tomn8r » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Wanting to try the new Pig putter i purchased a couple..& being white i fig'rd i'd dye em. Did the dye other day, leaving it on for at least a half hour, when i rinsed them off most of the dye came off, leaving just a ghost dye of certain colors. The Pro Pig plastic has a good "tacky/grippy" feel, but the plastic is very hard & waxie!! Dyeing again as i type, but this time leaving the dye on at least 3x's as long. Hopefully will set nice, " hopefully"! So, just thought i'd give everyone the rundown on the new "Pig plastic". "I sure hope they change, improve, come out with different runs... Champion, star, ect. because the run they're using now does'nt seem very good, especially for dyeing!! Other thoughts/opinions?
tomn8r
Noob

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:56 am

Pigs are only available in Pro plastic right now, and everything I've ever read says that Pro plastic is not good for dying.
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby Hoey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:24 am

especially these. This Pro plastic is really hard compared to some other Pro plastic I've seen at least.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby disctribution » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:39 am

You'll never get the dark colors that star plastic absorbs, but I've had some good runs with pro wraiths. The trick is that for the first 15 minutes of your dye your liquid should be HOT. Try to heat it up until it's starting to steam a bit. Not boil, not simmer, just steam a little. This will open the stubborn pores of pro plastic and let the dyes in. Some dye colors such as orange and pink will not absorb well no matter what you do.

This is a yellow Pro Destroyer I did:

Don't be surprised in a month though when all your sharp lines look like faded crayon lines though. This is also a trait of pro plastic dyes. I've been doing some tests to see if I can stop the bleeding! I'll post my findings soon.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

Pro Rhyno and Pro Pig plastic is not suitable for dyeing. KC and JK too... they're all closer to DX than Pro. just more durable than DX.

Nothing wrong with "driver Pro" plastic. Like, every Pro disc out there, except the ones listed.

i've dyed em, and seen plenty factory dyes on Pro, Champ, Star... no worries about dyeing Pro, except that like Star, it's an opaque plastic and won't keep the color on the surface
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby tomn8r » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 pm

I dyed a pro wraith & had absolutely no problem with it, but this pro plastic they use for the Pig does'nt take dye well!! I used 4 colors, red, purple, blue, yellow...3 the socond time -yellow. The only color that even stands out is blue! So i may just submerge the discs in "HOT" blue dye for like a day. "It'll be better than white".
tomn8r
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Here's an example of what ZAM's talking about with the different types of pro plastic.

Pro JK Aviar

Pro Wraith

The aviar-x was dipped in the same black dye but hotter and for a longer period of time.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:02 pm

What, no picture of Spike?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Disc Artwork