Has Anyone tryed this???????

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Has Anyone tryed this???????

Postby Bruce Wayne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but has anyone ever tryed airbrushing the stencils on?? Is the paint simply to heavy or what?
What if you did it in light , thin cotes?

I was also thinking about useing an airbrush clearcoat after dying the disc to see if it would make it last longer.

And I was also wondering. what was the best way to get a real life picture into a stencil format?

I've read a few suggestions on the board already, but does anybody have any step by steps on how to go about it? Cus so far I suck at it.

I had a few more things I was gonna ask, but I forget. 8) O well.
Bruce Wayne
Noob

Postby JohnnyB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm

If you have photoshop
Open up your photo you want to turn into a stencil. Mess with the levels till you get a good bright/dark contrast in the areas you want. Then just goto threshold and adjust that till you get the stencil you want.
Ofcourse don't go too wild. Some things just don't belong on a disc
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby nickster9224 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:40 pm

the paint and clearcoat would make it illegal for pdga tournaments
nickster9224
Tree Magnet

Postby Bruce Wayne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 pm

yea i understand that, I've read the PDGA rules, but why does the airbrush differ from dying. is it the weight of the paint? Because airbrush coates are supper thin and I bet the dye weighs just as much
Bruce Wayne
Noob

Postby nickster9224 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 pm

the dye does not effect the flight of the disc. yet someone could manipulate flight with an airbrush.
nickster9224
Tree Magnet

Postby Bruce Wayne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 pm

JohnnyB wrote:If you have photoshop
Open up your photo you want to turn into a stencil. Mess with the levels till you get a good bright/dark contrast in the areas you want. Then just goto threshold and adjust that till you get the stencil you want.
Ofcourse don't go too wild. Some things just don't belong on a disc

I don't have photoshop, but i do have a simalar program. I have turned the picture to black and white. And played with the contrast, but I can't get the picture to look anything like that.
Bruce Wayne
Noob

Postby Bruce Wayne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 pm

nickster9224 wrote:the dye does not effect the flight of the disc. yet someone could manipulate flight with an airbrush.

I suppose your right because the paint would be raised. Even tho it's microscopic, it is raised and the dye is not.
Bruce Wayne
Noob

hmmmm

Postby Denver Discer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 pm

correct me if I am wrong but you can use an airbrush to apply the dye.
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 pm

ImageImage
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Bruce Wayne » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:04 am

Yea that's what brought it up. I was using an airbrush to spray dye, but paint would be much easier. Dye is such a pain in the arse/ :evil:
Bruce Wayne
Noob

Postby k-os » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:16 am

Clearcoating over a dye would not slow the fading process. The dye fades because it starts to bleed through the plastic toward the back, not out the front.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby ChUcK » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:49 am

I don't have the right accuracy of scales, but I'd bet good money that the weight of paint is exponentially more than the weight of any dye added. When I 'brush on the dye, 99 percent of it gets washed off afterwards in the sink, and the acetone evaporates instantly upon hitting the plastic (if you're good with the 'brush). 100 percent of any paint you apply stays.

Plus, a box of RIT weighs 31.9 grams. I used the same box of black to dye ~400 discs and when I moved apts I still threw out a full pot of LaBrea-esque dye begging for more plastic into which it may seep. 31.9/400 = .08g. I probably could have dyed a thousand more discs in the pot, which makes is .02g per disc added, which I think is still a little high, but way less than the weight added with paint.

Maybe I'll do some trials once the chem lab opens up again and I have access to the .00001 accuracy scales.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Bruce Wayne » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:56 pm

EDIT: Personal Attack
Bruce Wayne
Noob

Postby k-os » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 pm

Why have you been so rude to Chuck....?
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby Kurt Schwitters » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Bruce Wayne wrote:EDIT: Personal Attack

Edit: No need for this nonsense in what started out as a good thread on inquiry to disc dying and why you can't use paint.
Kurt Schwitters
Noob

Next

Return to Disc Artwork