Lazy man's die

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lazy man's die

Postby roman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 am

Still haven't dipped into the world of dying, partly due to laziness, partly due to lack of interest. Got bored tonight and whipped out a sharpie and drew all over the underside of my newly traded Buzzz. Came out pretty good, I think. It has sort of a ghost stamp look. The flash made too much of the marker show through the plastic, it really is more subtle than that.

roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rKp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:41 am

I did something similar to my Z Predator. Too lazy to try dying it but I drew on the top of it with a Sharpie. Only problem with mine is that I do get streaks in it when stuff hits the top of it. Drawing on the underside is a great idea. Here's mine (taken with a camera phone.)
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby Kenja » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:57 am

sweet!
Kenja
Noob

Re: Lazy man's die

Postby Seneca_22 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I'll have to take some pics of some that I did for myself and my wife. I still have to will myself to hook up some of my blank ones. I have a blank Force and Drone still waiting to be drawn on. The way they streak looks kind of cool, I just hate when they fade. Someday I'll break down and try a dye job.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby vonDrehle » Fri May 29, 2009 10:38 pm

I have done several dyes using sharpies. I have one that has a large NC State logo on it with my pdga number. I did it over a year ago and still looks good as new. When I get a hold of my camera I will take some pics.
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 pm

I just now noticed this thread (been golfing more than foruming) and I have to say that sharpie'd discs are not the lazy man's dye. It's more of the dye for people with artistic skills. I mean, a sharpie is dye suspended in a solvent- not very different than RIT in water or acetone. It is a much easier application, to be sure, but harder in the sense of drawing and whatnot. There's some guy in Kennewick, WA that has sharpie'd a bunch of discs that make me drool every time I see them.

I say sharpie away, and keep posting them...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby C. B. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Here is a sharpie dye I did freehand a few years back.
It's a roc....I like the number 42....I like highway signs...
This is what resulted one night.

Too scared to spill dye in the house, so i'm a sharpie guy.
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby jnecessary » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm pretty sure a friend found that buzzz at Peninsula Park, did you trade it or lose it there? He asked me if I knew who it belonged to and I didn't place it at the time...now I remember this thread.

roman wrote:Still haven't dipped into the world of dying, partly due to laziness, partly due to lack of interest. Got bored tonight and whipped out a sharpie and drew all over the underside of my newly traded Buzzz. Came out pretty good, I think. It has sort of a ghost stamp look. The flash made too much of the marker show through the plastic, it really is more subtle than that.

--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby roman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I traded that Buzzz to a local here back in March. If I ever see him again, I'll ask him about it ;) Thanks for the heads up though.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Disc Artwork