two color dying??

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

two color dying??

Postby Paintball1084 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I read through the sticky about dying discs but I did not see anything about doing more than one color. If someone could explain how to do two colors on one disc that would be awesome!!

Thanks
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith; buzzz,VP

Postby Roy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:46 pm

You just treat it like two different single color dyes. The only difference you just cut out the dye patterns to coordinate with each other. The important thing is to line up the patterns correctly.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby ChUcK » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:40 pm

No way, man. That sounds extremely hard to do. If you have both color sections cut out (but only weeded for the darker color) at the get-go, you dye the darker color first and then pull off the vinyl for the lighter color and re-dip it.

The dye colors blend together (along with the color of plastic), so it is best suited for black/any other color. You can get some nice shading effects using all one color for numerous dip n' peels, like that corgi disc. It was dipped in blue- once forever (effectively black), then twice for shorter periods with more vinyl peeled each time.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Paintball1084 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:50 pm

oooooh i see, so if i wanted to do lets say a black and orange disc i would first cut out the black parts and dip it till its done. then once thats done i will cut out the parts that i want orange and dip that so the new part i cut out will be orange and the other parts will still be black. the black parts will still get the orange dye but since its orange it will not show. i think i understand now.

thanks
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Postby ChUcK » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:53 pm

right- you can't dye the black part any darker no matter what color you use, unless the first dip you do is gray.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Paintball1084 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:57 pm

awesome thanks for the help. is there any tricky color combination's that i should know about? I think I am going to buy some dye and try it in the next few weeks.
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Postby JohnnyB » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Have you done any other dyes?
You may want to get the feel for it with a couple of single color dyes first. That way you can get an idea of how dark a dye will be with different amounts of time.
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby Roy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm

I've never tried overlaping the dyes.

What happens if you want light blue and yellow? or something like that?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Paintball1084 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:11 pm

this will be my first time dying discs, I'm going to try to do a few one color most likely back designs on some crappy discs so I wont care if i mess up. I think I know what im doing but I will see once i start.
Paintball1084
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork