Sign Vinyl

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sign Vinyl

Postby ryankilgore » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am

So I tried my second dye a couple weeks ago and again had a bunch of bleeds because the contact paper came unstuck. I really tried to be careful with it and make sure it was really pressed down, but after it was sitting in the hot dye it bled in a bunch of places.

This leads me to think that some sign vinyl would be better. But I don't know what to buy. Where have some of you purchased sign vinyl and transfer tape? I think I'd like to get a roll of each.

Thanks!

-Ryan
ryankilgore
Noob

Postby Midnightbiker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 am

Look up or in the phone book "Sign making materials". Also, try this link:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby k-os » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 pm

I bought some big-enough scraps from a local sign shop.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby ryankilgore » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:28 pm

I guess my question was, Is there any special kind of vinyl i should buy or avoid? Or is all sign vinyl the same? What about transfer tape?
ryankilgore
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find, and don't buy the most expensive. Cheapest stuff will stretch and pull when you try to cut/peel it, and can leave a nasty sticky residue that's a pain t get off. The most expensive stuff would probably be great, but you're throwing all the stuff away, so it'd be a waste. I think Oracal is the most trusted name, and probably the lowest grade of it would work fine. Also, get white or light colors so you can trace through it.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby stoneman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Just bop into a couple sign shops and ask for scraps. I did that, and I probably got enough vinyl to do 100 discs. I said I was interested in anything 12"x12" or bigger, and didn't care what color. Got a bigass box full of vinyl. :) One piec was like 20" wide, and over 20' long.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Disc Artwork