Stamp engraved into the disc?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stamp engraved into the disc?

Postby VADISCgolfer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 am

I used ethyl acetate to remove the stamp. But wait! I can still see the stamp!

The disc is a Star Valk.

I used the nail polish remover to get rid of the stamp, and it looked like the stamp was completely gone. When I got a closer look, the stamp was still on the disc clear and untouched in this new condition. Is the stamp engraved onto the disc? Is there any way to get this off?

It looks kind of white in some places of the stamp (like I didn't do a good job) but most of the stamp appears scratched in, perfectly but without color and the second layer of silver.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Postby tumpsi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am

acetone delivers.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby VADISCgolfer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 am

What if the stamp has been completely died over already?

Will the acetone take off the new dye job?
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

If I understand what you're saying, you have an "indent" where the stamp used to be? Meaning, all foil & color gone? If so, it's perfectly normal from the hot-stamping process. Some discs are more prone than others (ESP & FLX) and if they're really embossed on there they're a PITA to remove completely.

Answer to question 2:
No, acetone shouldn't remove the dye, just the stamp. It may lighten the dye a tad (if at all), but once it's dyed it's there forever (though it may naturally continue to fade / bleed / blurr).

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Do you mean that the disc was already dyed before stamp removal? If so, then you'll still be able to see certain parts of the stamp's silhouette when you remove it. RIT doesn't really penetrate a normal hotstamp.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Jsw » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 pm

HIJACK

I just removed the stamp off of my Star Aviar, but theres still some of the undercoat(I guess you could call it) left.

It was a silver stamp, now its a faded orange(the color of the disc), I assume this is because either A. The 'goo off'' didn't penetrate as much as acetone will, or B. Its all gone it just hasn't faded like the rest of the disc surface which has been exposed - kind of like when you take a bumber sticker off your car and the paint is fresher/darker because it hasn't been fading in that spot...

Should I just try acetone, or just let it fade away(it has already in the spot where I put my thumb a lot).
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Return to Disc Artwork