Disc dyeing video tutorial

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc dyeing video tutorial

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:27 am

Still having way too much difficulty with cut bleeds and wing bleeds, though my cut bleeds are much less prevalent. I've tried several different "corner flap folds" to try and prevent leakage, but nothing seems to work. Chuck, can you post some photos of exactly how you get your vinyl on the wings of the disc? I've tried the fold down method, crease together (picture your hands in prayer), cutting the flap in half and folding down, etc. Nothing seems to work. I haven't "ruined" anything yet, since these are all mine, but I'm losing the high quality I want. Help!!!

On a positive note, since I was having way too much difficulty in the transfer process with the masking tape I had purchased, I decided to use the cheap contact paper I bought from Wal-Mart :twisted: instead. I cut it into workable strips, and it was so much easier to use as a "transfer tape" than the masking tape. Very few pieces of vinyl remained stuck to it, and I was able to keep a lot of my fine detail work in place. The tack is considerably less than masking tape, it's cheaper, and it's way more effective. With simple designs, I'll probably just cut a large enough piece to cover the entire design.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby malinkie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 pm

i just use a generic 3in roll of scotch tape. That works awesome for me. I had edge problems until i found a way that worked for me to reduce. I would use a slight stretch out while folding method. If you do this slow enough then you will have just a few bumps around the edge. I push the center of the fold bumps with a credit card from around the center of the rise and push out to the edge of the disc. There is usually a little air bubble left at the cut (if you have one) so you do the same thing opposite into the cut.

I think we need images :)

-mal
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

all rightie...

so I re-watched cHuCk'S video, and noticed the following things that I wasn't doing...

first and foremost, with regards to my wing bleeds, I noticed that he's not really pushing the corner flaps down all the way, and kind of let's them remain sticking up. I will definitely try this on the next one.

second, I noticed that he pre-weeds the vinyl before applying the transfer tape. I haven't been doing this, opting to weed the vinyl from the disc. But I could see how pre-weeding would be that much easier when it's not attached to the disc. something else to try.

----

on a separate note, I waded through the entire odsa dye thread, and the dyes shown off by "macklin" are simply amazing. would love to learn more about his technique ... if he's willing to impart knowledge ... we won't necessarily be able to get his skill ... :D
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby malinkie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:08 pm

What do you mean by "weeding"?
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Postby pointdisc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm

"weeding" - Removing the chunks to be dyed before they are on the disc

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby malinkie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Ah, gotcha :) I've did it both ways and seen no difference in the amount if folding when doing the edges.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Postby justactnormal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Argh. I so want to check out this video, but the link above is broken. Tried both IE and Chrome but neither can find the page that the vid is on. Just an oops message. Is there any way you can re-post, or is this the right link and I just can't find it?
justactnormal
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Wraith

Postby eky8 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Try here
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby justactnormal » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 pm

sweet sweetness. turns out i've watched the video like 3 times, but didn't realize that it was the same one that was being referenced. so i've been trying to get my learn on before I try a dye hopefully over the holidays. surely these questions have been asked before, so please pardon my noobness, but i guess don't want to spend a year of my life perusing all the other threads trying to find answers. please impart some wisdom upon me.
1. replacement for Rit? I no can be finding any not stamped w/ an 11 date, and me hears it no work. And yes my grammar is impeccable.
2. mulit- colors? There's so many sweet pics of discs that have like 4 or 5 colors on them. Do you dip multi-colors or paint that shiz on?
3. I gotta black disc that I want to not be black b/c black is the toughest thing to find in the world even if you see exactly where it lands you'll step right over it and why PDGA promo discs gotta be black and why are run on sentences so awesome? Anyway, I wanna dye that mo-fo like bright yellow w/ some red maybe something like malinkie's pic. Think black plastic will take a bright yellow dye and see question #2 regarding other colors?
4. Last one. I'm sure you've heard it before, but what's the skinny on dyeing DX plastic? Are there any dyes out there that will work? I gotta lot of DX and a couple pro-D discs that I throw, and would love to be able to put something personal on them. Why it no work? Grammar is awesome.
justactnormal
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Wraith

Postby eky8 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Unfortunately this disc artwork forum is about dead. You will find much more info and a much bigger pool of dyers to ask questions of here.

But to answer your questions:
1. idye poly is the replacement for rit
2. Multi colors can be done 2 ways. Painting on, or multi dip. With multi dipping you go from dark to light and will need to remask for colors that will affect each other. For example you can't dye red over blue without affecting the blue. But you can dye any color over black.
3. In relation to the previous comment. you can't make a disc lighter. Black is the end all. The dye absorbs into the disc. There is no white dye.
4. DX and pro D suck. Too waxy? I dunno. They will take dye, just super lightly. Colors won't be true and fade happens quickly.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby Wayne Smith » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 am

Dyeing a disc a cool and good kind of art. This really helps how to start the ball rolling.
Wayne Smith
Noob

Favorite Disc: Putter

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork