Newbie'd first dye

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbie'd first dye

Postby StillDead » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Que Pasa!! I'm new to the board (posting, not reading) and decided I would try and dye my favorite disc of all!! The Elite Z Wasp... I turned out better than I thought but I really wish I would have done a better job with the lines... Tell me what you think...

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

As you can tell I had a little bleed through on the edges...

I used Contact Paper and 2- boxes of RIT dye to 4 cups of water... and were can I find 4'' transfer tape??? Can't find that width anywhere....
StillDead
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Wasp

Re: Newbie'd first dye

Postby pointdisc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:17 am

Good work for the first one!

To make them cheaper, one box of Rit to a random amount of water in a sauce pan (enough to float it) will work fine, plus if the water runs low you can just add more and use the same box until Armageddon.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:18 am

Holy crap that's a lot of RIT, but I can see that it paid off in darkness. Overkill, but you'll never need to add more dye to your mixture, at least until you hand that pan down to your great grandson. Good luck with edge bleeding. It's pretty hard to avoid unless you are dyeing a never-thrown disc. All those little scrapes and nicks are gaping holes for the dye to pass through.

I don't see any bleeding on the cuts, though, and that's a good sign. Is that the KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce steer silhouette? Not trying to offend, but it's the first thing that came to mind :lol:
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby StillDead » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Dude.... I didn't even think about that until you brought it up!!! THANKS!! Now I gotta complex!!! :oops: :lol: :lol:

I figured it was a lot of dye but it's only like $2 a box... and I did want it DARK!! Oh well, at least I can scratch black off the colors needed list...

So Chuck... were in the world can I find 4'' wide transfer tape?... if you don't want to push a vender then send me a PM...
StillDead
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:17 pm

ChUcK wrote:All those little scrapes and nicks are gaping holes for the dye to pass through

Has anyone tried brush on masking liquid? I saw it used a lot in painting r/c car bodies. Not sure where to get it, but google should know. If it'd work, it'd be pretty handy for filling in scratches like that - even if you only ended up painting it on those spots and leaving it as a layer under the normal masking...

I'd also like to know where to get that transfer tape...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby ChUcK » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:08 pm

I get it at a local sign supply shop in Seattle called Northwest Sign Supply. I can't believe it would be too hard to find online, but I haven't done too much searching around.

Hmmm, I just tried to search for it and came up with only the 48" logs of tape. It's entirely possible that the shop cuts them into 3 and 4 inch rolls themselves- they are willing to do that to rolls of vinyl, at least. I'd like to see the cutting tool that cuts through a 50-yard roll of vinyl. They're like 6 inches in diameter of tightly rolled stuff, and the cuts are clean, so it must be a pretty sharp blade. Definitely not a hacksaw, at least!

I'd recommend searching for the closest sign supply shop, and calling them directly if you can't bop on down to their store. Be sure to throw around a couple of esoteric phrases like "medium tack" and "sticky-icky". :)
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:25 am

bandsaw
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JCthrills » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:31 am

Rit is cheapest (so i've found so far anyway) at Wal-Mart, $1.42 a box. But they don't carry Scarlet (Red) I found a better color selection at Meijer for $1.99 a box.
Check out my dye work.... http://www.photobucket.com/JCthrills anything with FST in the title is up for grabs, make an offer :)
JCthrills
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Gator

Postby StillDead » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:47 am

Here is another one I just got gone with.... I can see now about the "air bubbles" on the dye...

ImageImage

Turned out ok... still got a ways to go...

Let me know what yall think...
StillDead
Noob

Postby tymeframe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:15 pm

StillDead wrote:So Chuck... were in the world can I find 4'' wide transfer tape?... if you don't want to push a vender then send me a PM...

Fellers has about any size roll of transfer tape you could want. You need a customer number to order with them. ...But all you need to do is call them and give them your name and address and you'll have a customer number!
Quality disc golf stickers available at DGstickers.com
tymeframe
Noob

Postby Fritz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:38 pm

tymeframe wrote:
StillDead wrote:So Chuck... were in the world can I find 4'' wide transfer tape?... if you don't want to push a vender then send me a PM...

Fellers has about any size roll of transfer tape you could want. You need a customer number to order with them. ...But all you need to do is call them and give them your name and address and you'll have a customer number!

Signwarehouse.com has some good deals too. I prefer the 2" transfer tape, gives you more freedom while hand cutting the design to tape as you go.

Check out this brand: Endura
http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/merch ... P575-SW-01

It works great.
and it's cheap to buy.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to Disc Artwork