Need a HDD

General, Non-Disc Related Goods for trade/sale.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need a HDD

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am

i just had a wicked system crash this weekend... not sure what caused it but i think my old drive was dying as well as some heat issues and possibly a recent virus.

end result was pretty bad... had a 160gb crap out with the entire OS partition corrupted. was able to retrieve backup data from the storage partition but the OS partition cannot even be formatted.

i was able to piece it back together but found that my other drive has a large chunk of it that is corrupted as well (it has some folders whos contents were converted to gibberish and cannot be deleted). the suck part is that i replaced a 160gb drive with a working 80gb drive, and now my other 160gb drive has about 20gb of it f'd up. basically, i went from having like 60gb of free space to about 7gb of free space.

i was wondering if anyone has a hdd or two they'd be willing to sell cheap so that i can get my system up and running again in a decent way (i'm on my gf's comp now).

i'm basically looking for anything 120gb and up, IDE or SATA. i've had really bad luck with 160gb IDE drives for some reason (had 2 crap out in the past 3 years, 1 of them never really worked well from the start). i'd consider picking up 2 drives.

if you have something that fits this criteria, please let me know what you have and how much you would want for it.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Need a HDD

Postby stoneman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:14 pm

I probably have a couple 80GB drives I could GIVE you for the cost of shipping...but I know I don't have any larger ones.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Need a HDD

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks stone, i'm still in limbo right now but i will try to get back to you soon.

turns out both of my 160gb have crapped out... scandisk ran this morning on boot up of a fresh install and proceded to start converting folders to files, forcing them to read only and changing their names to gibberish characters...

i ran the actual western digital hard drive tools for the first time ever (and i've built 150+ systems) and was able to convert them back to what they were.

i ended up buying a 320gb sata drive today only to find that my onboard sata controller was dead heh...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Garage Sale