WTB cheap used anime series

General, Non-Disc Related Goods for trade/sale.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

WTB cheap used anime series

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 pm

my gf and i are continuing our anime rampage and averaging about 3 series per week and looking to pick up some fresh titles.

my used searches locally are slowing down and we're starting to hit the dregs of stuff at shops. my gf prefers dubs but will do subs if the voicework is craptastic.

if you have something you want to get rid of hit me up with what you've got and how much you want as well as as many details as possible.
e.g.
1. is it import or domestic release? (if import, how is the quality?)
2. how many discs and epi's?
3. does it have dual audio japanese and english?
4. are the subs good are are they engrish?

looking mainly for complete series but willing to buy individual volumes if the price is right and it's at least half the series.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

when do we get a disc golf anime?

Postby Coldpunk » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:24 am

Do you guys always go with dvds from stores? My ex and her sister watched tons and we got most of ours off of streamload or other torrents and then saved them to a terrabyte external. I only buy the ones I really love on dvd. Which series are you looking for in particular?
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Blake_T » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 am

i tend to buy it, no matter where it's from. we only watch anime on a TV that isn't near a computer. downloading an entire series, rendering, and burning it to DVD would often take upwards of 10-20 hours. considering i only buy what i deem to be reasonably priced anime unless it's a series i absolutely love, often it's more efficient to buy it.

today on craigslist i'm picking up 10 complete series, 5 movies, 1 partial out of print series (4 out of 6 discs), 3 disc 1's of series, and 5 out of 6 discs of another series for $100.

if there isn't a reasonably priced domestic release, i will sometimes buy import series either locally or by mail. local stores charge ~$10 a disc for import sets and by mail you can get em for ~$8 a disc. e.g. 3 disc 26 episode set = $30 or $24. i use that as the benchmark.

for used import series i look to spend less than $20, and used domestic releases i look for less than $30, but on occasion will go up to say, $35-40 if it's supposed to be really good and the new price is > $60. the ideal is to pay $10-15 per import set and $15-25 for domestic sets. i'll pretty much pull the trigger that those prices if it's anything i'm interested in.

my big things are this:
1. i like to support the companies that make the stuff unless i feel they're gouging the crap out of the consumer. e.g. trickling out too many discs with too few episodes per disc and too high of an MSRP per disc.
2. i like to support the local stores that stock both new/used anime (especially used). after watching half of the stores that cover my hobbies (disc, guitars, video games, movies, cd's, etc.) close, i'm willing to pay a couple of $ more to support those local stores and keep em doing what they do. the better local stores usually cut me a deal on used stuff.

what i hate: $100 MSRP's on 25 episode sets. pawn shops that pay $1 per disc and then jack up a 6 disc set to $70.

as for series that i want...
anything really good heh. i'm a newb to this. i have stuff that's been recommended and am working to get those right now, but for a quick list...
rahxephon, 009, ai yori aoshi, samurai gun, escaflowne, zone of the enders, gankotsuou, berserk, gungrave, trigun (if cheap), basilisk, dot.Hack roots, hellgirl, black lagoon, and others.

i'm open to pretty much anything if the price is right.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:10 pm

need these discs in particular if anyone has a line on them cheap:

zone of the enders disc 6
cowboy bebop session 5 (non remix version)
saber marionette j to x disc 4
glass fleet discs 5 and 6
Blake_T

Re: WTB cheap used anime series

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:01 am

looking for some specifics here:

individual discs:
glass fleet disc 5
samurai champloo discs 6 and 7
this ugly yet beautiful world discs 2 and 3.
trigun discs 1-4

complete series:
utawarerumono
my hime
009-1
Blake_T

Postby edrift101 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:43 pm

FYI - Best Buy has the first season of Black Lagoon for $36. Not a bad price for 4 DVDs.
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 pm

i picked that up a while ago. there's a ton of best buys that are clearancing out anime for 50% off right now as well... and at those stores black lagoon is only $18.

thanks though.

i see you are in mn, if you're curious on the metro area stores with clearances:
blaine (the one near 109th and central)
eagan
inver grove heights
apple valley
burnsville
bloomington MOA area
eden prairie
shakopee
lakeville
rogers
brooklyn center
edina
Blake_T

Postby edrift101 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be heading over to Best Buy this weekend.
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm

there's lots of good stuff but they're getting picked over pretty quickly.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:42 am

actually... if anyone has a best buy near them that is clearancing stuff out at 50% off, these titles eluded me (by being sold out or were pulled off shelves). if someone is able to stumble across one of them and would be willing to pick them up for me... i'd be greatly appreciated.

i'd be looking for complete box sets on the following:
Berserk Remastered Collection - reg price $30, $15 after sale
Familiar of Zero - reg price $40, $20 after sale
Glass Fleet - reg price $43, $21.50 after sale
Hell Girl Season 1 - reg price $50, $25 after sale
Maburaho - reg price $60, $30 after sale
Mezzo - reg price $30, $15 after sale
Pumpkin Scissors Part 1 - reg price $43, $21.50 after sale
Pumpkin Scissors Part 2 - reg price $43, $21.50 after sale
Utawarerumono - reg price $50, $25 after sale
Blake_T