My bag - working on form.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My bag - working on form.

Postby riltim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 am

Background:
I've been playing for 1.5 years, mainly just weekends due to work and family. My putting and approach game are pretty stong but my form is so bad I have a tough time hitting 300. I'm working on form and decided to stick with speed 7 and under.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Drivers:
167 opto river
175 opto river
170 evo hpp blaze

Mids:
175 z wasp
178 z wasp
2 x 175 esp buzzz
175 z buzzz
2 x 175 z comet

Putters:
3 x ss wizard
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: My bag - working on form.

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Looks pretty balanced, keep at it.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby inthedrift » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Are you seeing much difference in distance between the wasp/buzzz and the blaze? If not you might consider a different driver to complement the rivers, perhaps an eagle or teebird depending on the stability of said rivers. The Blaze is a solid disc tho, so if the setup is working for you I'd agree that it is a nicely balanced bag.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby riltim » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am

Blaze has been pulled and 2 SOLFs (164 & 175) have been added. I also added 2 beasts (167 & 168) as my main distance driver.
riltim
Noob

Postby riltim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 am

Still trying to get my form down and distance hasn't improved greatly. Please let me know of any obvious overlap.

1 - 175 SOLF 1.2
1 - 164 SOLF 1.1

1 - 167 Champ Teebird
1 - 161 DX Teebird
1 - 168 DX Teebird

1 - 175 Opto River
1 - 167 Opto River

1 - 177 Z Wasp
1 - 175 ESP Buzzz
2 - 175 Z Comet

1 - 175 HPP Wizard
1 - 175 SS Wizard
1 - 175 S Wizard
riltim
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 am

have you read this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

The bag looks fine. I would maybe put the SOLF in the closet for a while if you are still maxing at 300. are you FH or BH?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby riltim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 am

I am a LHBH thrower who is trying to work some FH into my game (only putters ands mids are working currently).

I have read that thread as well as a bunch of other threads and for the most parr it just doesn't make sense to me. "Wrist extension", "stopping the elbow", wtf. I just don't grasp it. I'll read again and see if something clicks.
riltim
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 am

have you watched the requisite videos? what type of grip do you use?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby riltim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 am

What videos? I have watched the right peck drill and the hammer pound drills. Hammer pound drills made sense to me. Right peck felt super awkward with terrible results, I might have to revisit them.

I use a 4 finger power grip but I think I had my hand position messed up for a long time. Last time I played I adjusted my thumb position and was getting a little more D. Its tough for me to get a good grip because I have real small hands.

I think a lot of my distance issues are coming from not being able to throw high and nose down. Most of my drives are nose down but 6-8' off of the ground. When I try to throw high I don't follow through.
riltim
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am

yes the right peck is awkward at first but you have to work at it and practice.

since you state you have small hands then I reassert my suggestion to closet the SOLF.

I think a lot of my distance issues are coming from not being able to throw high and nose down. Most of my drives are nose down but 6-8' off of the ground. When I try to throw high I don't follow through.
that has a lot to do with grip.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby riltim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:24 am

Grip will cause me to throw low? I was almost certain I was somehow weight forward although I don't feel like I'm weight forward when I throw.
riltim
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am

it can depending on how you grip the disc. Most good long golf shots need about 12-15' of height.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:10 pm

riltim wrote:I am a LHBH thrower who is trying to work some FH into my game (only putters ands mids are working currently).

I have read that thread as well as a bunch of other threads and for the most parr it just doesn't make sense to me. "Wrist extension", "stopping the elbow", wtf. I just don't grasp it. I'll read again and see if something clicks.

Without throwing take an FH stance and bend the wrist back (left of neutral). That is where your wrist will be during the throw once you'll accelerate with the arm. From there you should snap the wrist forward at least to neutral. In BH it is sometimes recommended to extend the wrist to beyond neutral so for a lefty FH that would mean right of neutral. I have never tried it and don't know if anyone throws like that and if it is beneficial or detrimental so you need to find out for yourself. Mirror image for the BH shot.

I suck some in stopping the elbow if the exact definition ain't getting the elbow forward in a BH shot with the disc by the left pec LHBH or even closer to the target than that and then not swooping the arm to the left but keeping the elbow in place _while_ you straighten the elbow _relative_ to the body. Naturally the x step has you moving forward so the elbow is moving forward relative to the tee but don't mind that it is how it's supposed to be.

Sometimes wording things differently helps to click because everyone is different so please don't hesitate to ask if you're unclear about some terms or ideas.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby riltim » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks JR. I'll try out the wrist tips and thrusting out my elbow a bit more.
riltim
Noob

Postby riltim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 am

175 - SOLF
164 - SOLF
161 - MOLF
175 - QJLS
175 - QJLS
172 - MJLS

175 - DX Roc
180 - DX Roc
170 - X Comet
175 - Z Comet
175 - ESP Comet

169 - SS Wizard
172 - Chalky S Wizard
171 - Chalky S Wizard

Just added Roc's to my bag, which I like better paired with my comet's than the wasp's did. I don't mind dropping a fresh DX one in as needed to keep stability. JLS's are a somewhat new edition too and I am very pleased.

I'm still having trouble with over 300' consistantly but I am gaining distance slowly and my accuracy has greatly increased. With work and family I'm limited to zero field practice and playing one round a week, which is the local course bag tag match. I'm hoping with daylight savings time approaching I will be able to hit the field after work and work on pushing those distances to 350'-400'.
riltim
Noob

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion