What's in the bag 2012 edition

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What's in the bag 2012 edition

Postby mikes919 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:23 am

JR wrote:Considering you had a pause in your active throwing it is possible that you haven't gotten Beasts that were manufactured in the last two years. They've become more HSS without adding to the LSS vs the new mold Beasts. DX Beasts beats to useless soon. The other plastics are fine. The Surge should be longer than the Flash but Mark Ellis says that some Flashes are longer than others IIRC and that is his main driver. Star Destroyers do break in but i've never heard of a quick breaking in. Nukes and Dominators both are as hard to grip than the Boss. If you want a sure fire longer than Flash disc without being the widest winged there is only one option beyond the Wraith which is a slightly faster and longer harder fading Surge. Westside Discs King in VIP plastic with a non drooping outside edge and a tall dome is the answer and even it has a fairly wide wing. Kings vary so much that you need to get it in person or order from a knowledgeable net store.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I definitely haven't thrown a Beast that was made after 2008 or so. I have an unthrown one sitting here but I'm fairly sure it's at least that old as well. Sounds like my best bet is to try a 167-ish flat Surge and a Beast, and check the merch bins at my next tourney for a VIP King that looks good. Westside didn't exist the last time I was really playing so it's all new to me. Thanks! A lot of work for a disc that I'll probably only throw twice per round, lol.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am

Before buying anything i'd do a shootout between the Flash and the Surge. Maybe you'll save money. But the King is a lot longer yet controllable disc. Only lighter Blizzard discs match the lower power requirement to other warp speeders if you don't count the flippier Latitude equivalent. The name of which escapes me because it is useless at our power level for anything else than rollers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm

JR wrote:if you don't count the flippier Latitude equivalent. The name of which escapes me because it is useless at our power level for anything else than rollers.

Bolt? Only disc I've thrown over 400' flat ground. Very flippy, super fast, mega glide...agree that it is useless to higher power.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 am

Yes the Bolt and i agree completely about the characteristics of it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby dgdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Only 4 pages this year? That's weak....
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Moukari » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Putters

6x Wizards - 2 only for putting, 4 for drives - to 300 ft

Mids

6x Rocs - 3 KCpro 3 DX - to 350 ft

Control

5x Eagle - 4 champ 1 kcpro10x - to 400ft

Distance

6x Destroyers - Star or echo - to 500ft

Utility

Pred - Spike hyzers, forehands, heavy winds
Illusion - Beated for rollers

Bag

Prodiscus pro bag 8)
Moukari
Noob

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby JR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 am

Tervetuloa Moukari. Aika äijäpituuksia sulla dessusta. Oletko kokeillut nopeampia kiekkoja, että menisikö vielä kauemmas?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 pm

All inside lat64 pro bag:

Putters:
2x 173 D Magnet, putting
2x 175 D Banger-GT, drives and approaches (one beat to flippy, one new)

Mids:
170g ESP Buzzz (everything)
175g Z Wasp (wind, overstable duty)
180g DX Roc (right between Buzzz and Wasp)

Drivers:
168g Star Teebird (go to control driver, very straight)
175g QJLS (trying it out, feels about identical to the Teebird)
170g GL Vision (fills stability gap between Teebird and RR)
161g Star RR (big turnovers and rollers)
171g Star Firebird (OH, FH, skips, use this a ton)
167g Z Crush (longer Firebird)
168g Pro Wraith (max d, distance rollers)
174g Champ Wraith (max d)

Suggestions? I throw FH and BH with almost every disc.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Have you ever come across a situation where you need a short hard fading approach and the Wasp powered down still skips too much or doesn't fade hard enough? If there is such a situation facing you you might want to consider an overstable putter like the Zone or the Pig which is slower and doesn't skip as hard. Rhynos fade fairly much powered down but they get a lot straighter at power or into a headwind. You have many drivers but FH/BH might need it not always with a proper setup. I don't remember how far you throw but a longer driver with the same or less power requirement than the Wraith is possible.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply JR :D

The new Banger fades hard enough for me, I have considered a zone but just stuck with the Banger because it does what I need.

I throw the Bangers 200 and under, some stuff out to 220, Buzzz/Wasp for shots between 200 and 300, Teebird/Firebird 300-320, Crush/Vision 330, Wraith 350+, max golf D is probably 350', I can stretch the Teebird out that far sometimes, the Wraiths can scratch 380' if everything goes right.

The Wraith's are both discs I custom dyed so that is a big reason they are in the bag, I wouldn't mind shelving them for something that is easier to throw, they can be temperamental.

I have been really wanting to try out Westside...so I recently picked up a GL Northman but haven't thrown it more than once or twice. Not sure where that will fit in the bag, if at all.

I will be keeping either the JLS or the Teebird long term, not both, just trying them. I could see replacing the Wraiths with just one long distance disc, something for wide open long distance. Also, is there a version of the Buzzz that would fit between the ESP Buzzz and a Z Wasp, I would prefer another Buzzz instead of the Roc.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby TLapham » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:31 am

cubeofsoup wrote:Also, is there a version of the Buzzz that would fit between the ESP Buzzz and a Z Wasp, I would prefer another Buzzz instead of the Roc.

Z Glo Buzzz
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby Ted Bratton » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 am

My bag at the end of 2012

Z Surge 169
Z Predator 170
C PD +mold 171
S PD 168
Z AvengerSS 173
Star TeeBird stable.
Champ TeeBird flippy.
Z Buzzz 177
Z Comet 175
R-Pro Roc 176
Cryztal Z Challenger 175
D Magnet 174 beat
D Magnet 175 beat
Last edited by Ted Bratton on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted Bratton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby sweeper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 am

Better get it in!
Low 900 rated player RHBH 325 on a good day. 40 years old.

Putters:
Rattler (172-175) -210' & putting- Favorite disc. I carry 2 or 3 at all times!
Aviar (175 Dx BB, or glow champ) -Up to 225' longer on a good day- Need something that goes left. 1 in bag

Mids:
Rocs (170 KC pro beat, 175 kc pro beat, 176 dx newish, 180 glow) -solid up to 250' or so- Almost all mid shots
Meteor (Esp) -275 or so- Bridge between mids and drivers. Has kind of taken the place of dx eagle L.

Fairways:
Eagle X (170 KC pro very beat, 168 Star beat, 175 star) -260 to 300ish- the KC pro Eagle is straight to understable, the meteor helps with very understable throws
I have found that Eagle Xs also make good FH discs.

Drivers:
Katana (Blizzard, 170 Pro beat, 175 Champ) Blizzard is my max disctance disc. The pro is understable.
Dominator (175) Needed something that was more stable than a Katana and not as stable as the freak wicked overstable star katana I haven't figured out yet
Pulse (175) FH disc
* Pulse * Katana * Eagle X*Roc * Meteor * Aviar * Rattler *
sweeper
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 am

You are pushing the Rattler quite far out regarding changing wind conditions. It is much more consistent at 150' and the Aviar is ok to good/borderline great at above 150'. But much depends on the wind conditions you play in and if you play in mountain elevation the Rattler is much more forgiving than at sea level.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby sweeper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:20 pm

JR:

You are right on with your statements about Rattlers and Aviars. I do play at sea level, but it isn't very windy where I play (most of the time.)

Wind KILLS my game!

It is not as bad now that I throw Rocs instead of Comets, but it is still bad. Rattlers ARE best inside of 150, but I have been throwing them for a long time and with a little height and I can get them out there a bit (hit the pole on a 215' drive today). I figure when I beat in an Aviar P&A or something, my Rattlers will give up more of their duties off the Tee.
* Pulse * Katana * Eagle X*Roc * Meteor * Aviar * Rattler *
sweeper
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion