FTT's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's Bag

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:06 am

The most overstable Kings VIP tall dome no wing drooping kind are like that even though they too fade hard once they slow down like the Dominator. Kings glide more and have a lower power requirement.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm back from a little hiatus. I injured my knee backpacking about two months ago, and had to take it easy for a while. It was a good break from disc golf. Since getting back, I've beeng carrying a 12 disc bag, my run-up and throwing motion are slower, and my acceleration has increased. I also realized I didn't need such a complex bag.

I don't want to change much other than figure out if I would benefit from a Zero G Quasar and if I need my Firebird.

Quasars - 380' bh, 350' fh
Beasts - 400' bh, 350' fh
Teebirds - 380' bh, 325' fh

Distance
176 First Run Q Quasar - beef
176 Q Quasar - longer beefy teebird
169 Champ Beast - line shaping and distance
167 Champ Beast - understable, tailwind distance

Fairway
173 Champ Teebird - point and shoot, relatively flat, high PLH
173 DX Teebird - understable, different from the Beast in that it's easier to range

Mids/Utility
175 Champ Firebird - thumbers, not used very much
178 DX Roc - fresh, stable
176 DX Roc - seasoned
177 DX Roc - beat
166 DX Roc - flat, straight flyer for touch shots and tunnels

Putters
175 Champ Rhyno - approach
167 KC Glow Aviar - drives
173 KC Glow Aviar - putts
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Zero G Quasar will give easy distance and for an injured guy getting back into business it is a help if you can get enough behind it. Whether it will go as far as the Beast depends how hard you can throw now. It gives good D for power input ratio though even when it fades out due to a lack of speed. Certainly better than heavy normal Quasars. Unfortunately PLH variance is large and flight lines too in Zero Gs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I picked up a 142 ZG Quasar with moderate dome. The jury is still out on whether it's beneficial.

Two other discs I'm trying out - Pure and Comet. Both are filling niche roles that I don't have. The Pure is incredibly straight. With mids, i'm trying a 176 DX Roc with a 176 Z Comet and 172 X Comet.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:16 pm

I keep taking 16-18 out for rounds, but really only use 8 or 9. I'm also getting a good feel for the ZG Quasar. Here's my refined 12 disc bag.

Distance:
175 Q Quasar - headwinds
148 ZG Quasar - no wind
168 Champ Beast - stable control
167 Champ Beast - tailwinds

Fairway:
175 12x Champ Firebird (flat) - utility
173 Champ Teebird - headwinds, stable shots
173 DX Teebird - understable

Mids:
176 DX Roc - stable
176 Z Comet - straight
172 X Comet - turnovers and touch shots

Putters:
173 Champ Glo BB Aviar - stable drives
175 Opto Pure - straiiiiight
173 KC Glo Aviar - putts
175 KC Glo Aviar - backup
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:05 pm

In the last few months, I've quit the changing game and I'm now looking to keep simplifying. So I'm not wanting to add any molds unless there's a glaring gap that I need to fill.

I'm posting on here again because I'm looking for an outside opinion on dropping down to 12 discs. I can't seem to figure out what needs to go.

Distance - Wraith/Beast - 375' to 425'
170 Champ Wraith - tall dome, high PLH, beeefy
175 Star Wraith - tall dome, lower PLH, slightly understable to stable finish
168 Champ Beast - tall dome, low PLH, beautifully understable

I also have a 171 Champ Dominator (one of a kind stamp...literally) that I'm using in the field to try and get a little more distance than my Wraiths. Right now it might give me 30' more if thrown right. It's too new for the bag, but I squeeze it in there for long, open courses.

Fairway - Firebird/Teebird - 300' to 375'
175 12x Kenny FB - flat, utility shots
173 12x Champ Teebird - tiny dome (like 11x) and high PLH, pretty new and beefy, handles forehand and headwind really well
174 11x Champ Teebird - beat to perfection, beautiful flight, slightly understable to barely stable
173 DX Teebird - beat in nicely, understable shots and stand-still shots that dont fade much

Mid - Roc - 250' to 300'
176 Roc3 - I got a flat one, I love it as a tweener disc and for straight shots that need more power/distance than a Roc normally gives me
180 DX Roc - Tourney stamp, nice and stiff, high PLH and normal dome, beefy
180 12x KC Roc - Beat to perfection, stable line-shaping
176 DX Roc (x2) - Normal stamp, softer plastic, one is straight, one is new and stable

Putters - Rhyno/Pure - up to 250' fairly easy
175 Champ Rhyno - flat, gummy, and amazing...love this disc off the tee and for utility shots
176 Opto Pure - straight to slightly understable drives
172 Zero Pure - taller dome than the other Zero Pure, upshots and understable drives, backup putter
172 Zero Pure - less dome than the other Zero Pure, main putter
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 am

One or two if you want a backup Pure and Rhyno should do and two Rocs one freshish and the other flippy and you've got 8 or 7 discs left for drivers which should be enough with backups for the most used disc. Whichever that is in your case and fewer of the rest supporting the main driver. Just which discs you should use for main duty and which for support roles depends on the course you play, wind, rain and what you are most comfortable with. On a long course you might wanna have all the distance drivers, FB and the rest with TBs and on a technical course that is not so long you may wanna add more TBs and ditch the Dominator and the slightly understable Wraith because the Beast does almost the same what it does. If your game is dependent on slightly understable long discs you want to have both the understable Wraith and the Beast possibly getting a backup Beast. So there are lots of viable options and it depends on what you like, are the most confident in and your playing style and the day and the course so feel free to switch it up based on the situation.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Gotcha. I played a 3 disc round earlier this week with a Teebird, Roc, and Pure. Had a great time and learned a lot...one thing being my need for an understable fairway driver that carries a big anhyzer to the ground without flipping. Leopards did that really well form what I remember. FD's never seemed to be understable enough (at least in terms of LSS), and Rivers seem too long for what I need.

Core of my bag: Wraith/Teebird/Leopard?/Roc/Pure

Prolly what I'll do is carry two of each, plus a Firebird and Rhyno. That'll be 10 + 2, with room to grow if I want to throw in the Dominator or another specialty disc.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Leo flips in Champ and is shorter than the River so it should be fine.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am

JR wrote:Leo flips in Champ and is shorter than the River so it should be fine.

Champs I've thrown aren't too flippy to 300', but do have some turn. PLH being the same, I'd rather have one with a little more dome so it's more likely to come back to flat from a turnover instead of rolling...for big, high-angle right turns.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 pm

At full power for me 375' yesterday the flip of a max weight Champ Leo is about 3-4 degrees for me but my star won't flip at all without a headwind or a stiff side wind. Star Leos flex back better than other plastics because they fade earlier and harder than other Leos but that makes them shorter least straight going too. I surprised myself yesterday outdistancing the Leo with the Stalker for the first time and the Stalker does not flip at 172 and the fade was less on low lines than the Leo and much more on high throws. Being more overstable the Stalker needs to be released anny to get anny and it will fight out better from annies. The trouble is that the Stalker is more power hungry and won't be as long or straight as the Champ Leo at 390-400' power with warp speeders.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Is PLH the factor between your Star and Champ Leo stability? I assume your results could be different if PLH was the only variance and it was reversed. Or are Leo's really sensitive to dome height?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:01 am

From memory the PLH is higher and the dome roughly similar on the Star. Not sure on the dome though and i need to leave so i don't have time to compare.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:16 am

No worries. I'm only asking because my experience is opposite.

On another note, I put my Star Wraith to 380' on a forehand for birdie on a 375' par 3. Didn't know I had that much distance in my flick.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:01 am

That kind of FH power should change the way you tackle many holes so if you can play rounds by yourself on every course around you with bh and fh for every drive and approach to see which works better. At least when you gain accuracy, consistency and self confidence with previous success and the knowledge that you can easily pull of good fh shots. They don't need to be out that far even to radically improve your game. If you put in the work you will be a much higher caliber player and even having that kind of power potential is a reason for congratulations!!!

Disc variations again... I recall that Bradley Walker loved Star Leos because they handled midwest winds better than other Leos. Regarding Star i had a 166 SEX that is like the ones of everyone and a 175 that is a Firebird in flight Eagle in shape, stamp and pen marks...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion