My Bag. Rate and/or Help

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Bag. Rate and/or Help

Postby JimHalpert » Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Distance Drivers:
Innova Champion Groove
Innova Champion Boss
Innova Champion Valkerie
Innova Wraith

Mid-Range:
Discraft Glide Z
Innova Leopard

Putters:
Innova Champion Aviar
Discraft Soft Magnet (coming soon)

Please tell me what you think. I'm relatively new so any help is appreciated.
JimHalpert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Wraith

Re: My Bag. Rate and/or Help

Postby JR » Mon May 27, 2013 10:52 am

Leo is a fairway driver and Glide is from hearsay long for a mid. For range control Roc or Buzz could be better and the Roc has a bead and the Buzz not so you need to figure out which shape releases more cleanly for you. You lack anything truly overstable. What acts overstable for you depends on the distance you throw and how quickly headwinds hit the discs. At 350' the Boss acts overstable at less than stiff headwinds. Otherwise everything you have are straight to understable and you need something more overstable. If your discs selection up to now is an indication you wither like to throw hyzer flips or throw less than 350'. If so you may not need the most beefy discs. A CPD might be good enough in the distance <350' case.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JimHalpert » Mon May 27, 2013 11:25 pm

You're right. I can't throw 350 yet. Also the glide does tend to go long on most anything other than upshots. I definitely like the idea of adding a roc. Which plastic/weight would work best as something shorter and slightly more controlled than the roc? Also whats an example of an overstable disc that could help my bag.

By the way I really appreciate this. Thank you for taking the time to help.
JimHalpert
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 am

We are here to help so no problem. I think you made a mistake in there asking about Rocs so i'm not sure what you are looking for. The shortest Roc is the most overstable maximum weight (180) Roc but USDGC fundraisers are expensive. Champ Roc3 is slanted winged so it might be slippery at least when cold and wet but it is ok but even more overstable when you get a good one would be a hard plastic blend KC Roc. Rocs vary so your mileage may vary but when i threw 350' i got a wide mix of stabilities in Rocs of different plastics. Most of them flipping in winds. I may have been unusually unlucky. KC does not last as long as the Champ Roc3 and unfortunately they made soft KC Rocs a while ago that last as little or less than DX in new condition becoming flippier and longer thus less reliable than new ones.

At sub 350' power Millennium Sentinel MF has been a good choice for years but people reported that the later Sirius ones might be less overstable. Gators have been good OS mids the usefulness of which has often been debated. The Gator is slower and shorter and harder fading than the Sentinel.

At under 350' i am not so sure that truly overstable drivers are as useful as they are for 370'+ crowd. Therefore a moderately overstable driver should suffice and an overstable mid should suffice for everything but headwind putts (the fade takes the disc off line too easily). It is optional if you like putters that are overstable for headwind putts. At your power the Rhyno is probably beefy enough. If the Wraith and Boss have not failed you in any winds yet maybe you don't need overstable or moderately overstable drivers yet -at least until you play in a storm. There Wraiths and Bosses might well fail. Firebrids and Z Predators are the usual suspects regarding overstable drivers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JimHalpert » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

My bad. I meant shorter and more controlled than the Glide. You covered the different rocs though so it was helpful despite the typo.

The wraith and the boss are doing very well for me. Living in Alabama I'm blessed with usually great weather so when it storms I can take a day off and still have tons of days to play. Since I still can't throw 350, I'm not yet good enough to play in competition that might force me to throw in storms. I think I'll wait until I improve, but then I will be sure to add at least one new overstable disc to my bag.
JimHalpert
Noob

Postby keltik » Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 am

I'm gonna say just use the Leopard and the Magnet.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JimHalpert » Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 am

I actually don't throw the leopard very often. Its really beaten, and I don't like the way it flies. The glide is my go-to
JimHalpert
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion