Check my bag out

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Check my bag out

Postby rodman20 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Been useing this setup for about a month. I really like it and have seen lower scores as well as more distance. Backhand golf "D" around 330 forehand about the same. Wide open shots im gettin the orcs out to 350 and teebirds 300-315. Mids are all around 275 and putters 200-225.

1. Stable Control Drivers
DX Teebirds 168g
Star TL 170g

2. Distance Drivers
Champ Orc 165g

3. Understable Driver
Beat Champ Beast 167g

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Beefy Champ Orc 175g

5. Very Overstable Driver
Useing a BOSS 173g (i know is more then i can really handle but i like it for thumbers, tomahawks and my forehand shots)

Mids:
Pro-D Buzzz 166g Turnover
Elite Z Buzzz 175g Straight
Elite Z Wasp 175g Overstable
E Demon 175g Very overstable, get outta trouble disc and great for wind.

Putters:
SSS Wizard for putting and upshots that need to stay put. 175g
2 firm wizards for driving. 175g
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird/Roc

Re: Check my bag out

Postby corey115 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm

This is what I would do, from a minimalist approach...

1. Control Driver
DX Teebirds

2. Distance
Champ Orc

3. Under
beat DX Teebird or Star TL, both more controllable than Beast

4. Mod Over
Champ Orc, maybe something that would handle wind a bit better, unless this particular orc is strangly beefy

5. Very Over.
Get something like a pred/FB

everything else looks to be in order
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby rodman20 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12 am

1. Control Driver
10x kc pro teebird seasoned

2. Distance
sidearm: boss
backhand: The kc pro teebird, may add a seasoned dx wraith

3. Under
Trashed Dx teebird

4. Mod Over
New Champion Teebird

5. Very Over.
Champion Banshee, used for short flicks, forehand roller, tommy's and thumbers

Mids
Crystal Z Buzz- straight to turnover
Z Wasp- Mod over stable
Demon- Meathook and trick shots may get rid of this since i have been using the banshee in the same situations i had been using the demon.

Putters
Firm Wizard- driving and up shots
SSS Wizard- main putter

Let me know what you guys think. I really like this current set up and wanna use it to advance my game this year.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:50 am

Try a Star Leopard for the understable slot. I think it is better than a TL. More like an XL I guess. More deliberate. It flies like a 2-3 year old Star Teebird.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:03 am

I think it makes more sense to list a bag from fastest to slowest/most stable to least, grouped by type. You already did this with your mids (wonderfully I might add), so here is the same bag if grouped the same way.

I would relegate the Boss to "trick shot disc" like some people carry an Epic (I carry a Whippet).

Distance Drivers (these are discs that you want for MAXIMUM distance with good to decent control):
Very Overstable Driver missing (I would recommend the 175 Starfire to compliment the Orc)
Moderately Overstable Beefy Champ Orc 175g
Straight Champ Orc 165g
Understable Beast

Control Drivers (these are discs that you want NEARLY maximum distance with PINPOINT CONTROL:
Very Overstable I would recommend a Banshee, Pred, Firebird, or Tsunami
Moderately Overstable Beefy (need a beefy Teebird here)
Straight DX Teebirds 168g or Star TL 170g (pick one)
Understable LEOPARD (my suggestion)

Mids:
Pro-D Buzzz 166g Turnover
Elite Z Buzzz 175g Straight
Elite Z Wasp 175g Overstable
E Demon 175g Very overstable, get outta trouble disc and great for wind.

Putters:
SSS Wizard for putting and upshots that need to stay put. 175g
2 firm wizards for driving. 175g

PS: You do not need ALL of these necessarily, but I think the group properly shows the relationship of the discs to one another.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 am

rodman20 wrote:1. Control Driver
10x kc pro teebird seasoned

2. Distance
sidearm: boss
backhand: The kc pro teebird, may add a seasoned dx wraith

3. Under
Trashed Dx teebird

4. Mod Over
New Champion Teebird

5. Very Over.
Champion Banshee, used for short flicks, forehand roller, tommy's and thumbers

Mids
Crystal Z Buzz- straight to turnover
Z Wasp- Mod over stable
Demon- Meathook and trick shots may get rid of this since i have been using the banshee in the same situations i had been using the demon.

Putters
Firm Wizard- driving and up shots
SSS Wizard- main putter

Let me know what you guys think. I really like this current set up and wanna use it to advance my game this year.
I know this is conflicting information, but I'd consider keeping the TL or adding something more workable than a Teebird. Teebirds aren't very forgiving and are difficult with which to learn line shaping.

I like what you've done with the very overstable slot and your comments about the Demon, too.

I'd consider just leaving the Boss/Wraith out of it for now. While it may be longer than some of your other discs there are a lot better discs out there for learning skills and technique.

Also, don't do this:
I think it makes more sense to list a bag from fastest to slowest/most stable to least, grouped by type. You already did this with your mids (wonderfully I might add), so here is the same bag if grouped the same way.
Do what you have been doing and follow what the sticky says. It makes finding holes/overlap much easier and it makes it a lot more obvious as to what you intend to do with each disc.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:27 pm

garublador wrote:Also, don't do this:
Do what you have been doing and follow what the sticky says. It makes finding holes/overlap much easier and it makes it a lot more obvious as to what you intend to do with each disc.

I disagree.

I see nothing special about the format outlined in the "sticky". In fact, to me, it makes no sense at all.

I made a new post to explain.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby rodman20 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 pm

thanks for the input guys. Bradley i think you were looking at my first post and not my updated bag 3 replys below it. I stopped throwing the orcs because i was not getting the control or consistency out of them and would rather throw the tee bird and know im going to get 320 feet rather then maybe get the 330-345 outta the orc or end up in trouble same goes with the beast. Maybe i should pick up a dx orc and beat it up some and use that as my distance driver. After thinking about it i will be leaving the demon outta my bag. I have even thought about going down to gazelles and cheetahs and taking a break from the tee birds. My biggest thing at this point is getting more consistent in all aspects of my game. I have enough distance and control i feel i can compete in intermediate but want to move up to advanced by the end of 2009. I have only been playing since may 08 but feel pretty confident i can do well if i am consistent.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 pm

I am so sorry. Somehow I did not see that update.

DUHHHH!!!

Although, I guess we were on the same page somewhat. :D

D Cyclones are good too.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby rodman20 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:55 pm

A d-cyclone for a distance driver? ill do a little research and see if maybe i can get one via trade.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:01 pm

The Cyclone is close to Gazelle speed.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Unless you're married to two 175g Wizards, you could probably drop one of those in weight to 168-170g and pick up another 20-30' on your putter drives.

Considering your distance, I'd expect you to be closer to 250' with putter drives. See if you're giving them enough air :)

As for the rest, when you come up to a shot that you never seem to hit with the discs you have, go find the disc that'll fill that need. Until then, I say throw what works best for you. While you may have some holes in your bag, that could be just because you don't run across a need for that shot too often (either because of your courses or weather conditions).

That said - if you have the space, I'm all for carrying a disc golf store on your back because you never know when you'll need special disc #13 :D
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby rodman20 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 pm

actually i have added a good bit of distance to my putter drives. Ive been home for the holidays and a good bit of holes here i use a putter to drive with and am consistantly hitting 250 with the 175g putters. I did pick up a 168g putter in a trade to use for long putts and work with on drives but i havent had time to take it out and use it. My mids are out to 280ish but my drives are still not as long as i think they should be. I didnt post the article but under the technique forums "i throw a buzz 280 and my driver 320" that fits me to a tee. I really have been watching the masterbeato video trying to get more snap and more nose down.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion