Long Distance Driver Help

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Long Distance Driver Help

Postby curt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:45 pm

So, I am very happy with most of my bag at the moment, but feel very confused/overlappy on the long side of things. first off, here are what's set.

Also, I am left handed and max out somewhere on the just short side of 400. Reliably hit 370, no problem.

putters 3x warlock (2 putting (only use one on course carry other as backup), 1 approaches)
1x magic (understable duties/straight approaches)

mids 2x buzz (z/flx)

control 5x teebird (2 10x KC understable, 1x dx straight, 1 tl go-to, 1 champ)

z-pred - very overstable

now for the long distance stuff
currently I have : 1st run boss (pure D)
Z avenger (overstable D)
beat wraith straight
star valkyrie (very beat, hyzer flips/anny)

I feel that there is a heavy overlap b/t the avenger/boss, but am having problems kicking either out. Mentally, the boss goes real far, but I have to hit it just right or its short and right. The avenger is shorter, and I am not sure it has a significant gain over the teebird (except its more reliably overstable)

I also think that the wraith/valkyrie combo is weird. The valk is really beat (i can roll it easily) but I get some huge hyzer flip D from it (occasionally flips to much). The wraith does really go over and not come back yet, but its a new addition to the bag and i'm unfamiliar with it. Any suggestions?

thanks
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Re: Long Distance Driver Help

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 pm

From what I know of these discs (and I'm throwing about 50'-75' short of you):

currently I have : 1st run boss (pure D) - it's overstable. If you finish hard right, you're probably a little nose up or just not enough snap and disc speed to get it to do what it should.
Z avenger (overstable D) - This is a long disc, but it's not as long as the wraith, valk or boss. I would consider this more like a longer teebird. Possibly not necessary unless you have some specific uses.
beat wraith straight - what plastic? I find that the champs work well for me. Star might work well for you. Something in the 165-170g range to hyzer flip or 170g+ to release with only a touch of hyzer or flat. This is probably the most reliable distance driver. The problem some folks have is they are unable to control it consistently.
star valkyrie (very beat, hyzer flips/anny) - this sounds like a special use disc. You could keep it in the bag and use it for rollers, or whatever. Just not your go-to distance driver.

With your distance, I would imagine you could use the same disc for hyzer flip and predictable fade distance. Just have the predictable fade disc be 7-10g heavier than the hyzer flip disc. If you like wraiths, give it a shot. I believe you have enough arm to utilize that disc properly. You could go for any of the high speed discs - just depends on which one does it for you. Lots of folks like the destroyer as well. It's a tad more overstable than the wraith. Then they have an x-caliber for same shot with a bit of a headwind. The destroyer could also be thrown in lower weight pro for hyzer flip and heavier star for overstable.

Good luck. have fun :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby curt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:10 am

makes a lot of sense. avenger and boss just came out of the bag. Took a nice new champ 170 wraith off the shelf for the overstable, and the 163 beat star is still there for the other stuff.

I do have a quick question about the valk though. I generally throw it with a lot of hyzer (probably b/t 30 and 45 degrees) fairly high. It comes out of the hyzer, flattens and turns over a little bit, then comes back. I really like the shot and have a lot of control with it. I've been questioning one thing about it lately though, and its something i've noticed I do with my understable teebirds to. I usually throw this shot at about 70-75%.

Is this a shot I should be able to throw close to 85-90% where I throw the rest of the time? Am I encouraging bad habits by power down for the hyzer flip? (I am headed home for the break soon, and am determined to get some video online)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:44 am

I'm lefty too. I feel your pain. If I were you I would get a new heavier valk so you can throw that shot at 80 percent, keep your other one and throw it at 80 percent and use that as the anny/turnover that you don't want to come back. You don't need the avengers if you like the teebirds they are very close together imo.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby black udder » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:13 am

I'd throw that valk as long as it serves a purpose. I have a beat 150g dx wraith that I throw with lots of hyzer for shots where I want to throw it high and far and turn right - say, to go over something. It allows me to throw hyzer release, it'll flip up flat, then turn over quite a lot, then as it comes down, it'll fade back again. I pull it out once in awhile, but for that shot, it's the only disc I have.

It doesn't matter how hard you throw it as long as it does what you need and you can repeat it. If you want more power, you should be able to put more hyzer on it.

I wouldn't sweat 1 extra disc in the bag. Problem is when you have 10 discs in the bag that are all specialty discs - that's when you'd realize that you're not shaping your lines, you're letting the discs determine how they fly :) I don't think you're there by any stretch.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion