Bag setup issues

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag setup issues

Postby Fullbag » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:24 am

Please feel free to criticize and comment my bag and my thoughts and problems. There are a few things I'd like to say first: I am not a disc minimalist. I enjoy discs that are understable from the beginning. I enjoy premium plastics. I am the worst at beating in premium plastic discs to be understable.

Here is my bag at the moment. Bolded discs will most likely remain there no matter what.

Putting putters:

Innova DX XD, 172 g, main putter
Innova DX XD, 174 g, beat, for jump putts

Throwing putters (for short approaches and drives below 300'):

Innova Pro Pig, 172 g, spike hyzers and headwind
Innova DX XD, 175 g, straight with minimal fade
Innova DX XD, 174 g, beat, extreme left-to-right

Midranges (for longer approaches and short drives, around 270-330'):

Discraft Elite-Z Wasp, 177 g, headwind and hyzers
Discraft CryZtal Buzzz, 176 g, straight with a little fade
Discraft Sparkle Z Buzzz SS, 176 g, super straight and turnover

Fairway drivers (for accurate drives from above 300'):

Innova Champion Banshee, 175 g, headwind and big hyzers, also for forehands and overhands
Innova 12x Champion or Star TeeBirds, 175 g, straight with a fade
Innova Champion Leopard, 175 g, straight with minimal fade and turnovers

Distance drivers (for maximum D, around 330-430'):

??. headwind and huge hyzers as well as max d forehands
??, straight
Innova 12x Star Wraiths, 166 & 167 g, tailwind and long turnovers
Innova DX Valkyrie, 175 g, rollers (which I suck at)

One of my biggest problems are the Wasps. I just don't feel them to be that comfortable and often have early releases. However it's a lot easier to manipulate the distance with them than it is with Buzzzes. Are there any good beadless (over)stable midrange discs out there that could replace Wasp? Preferably in Z/Champion plastic.

I have problems with the other overstable discs as well. I'd like to have one mold for maximum headwind distance (most likely Boss, XCaliber or Champ Destroyer) that I could also use for forehand d. But what should I do with Banshees? And do I need a Predator/Firebird kind of disc? And is getting my whole driver lineup to consist of nothing but Star plastic worth some modifications?
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Re: Bag setup issues

Postby BLURR » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:35 am

Fullbag wrote:Distance drivers (for maximum D, around 330-430'):

??. headwind and huge hyzers as well as max d forehands
??, straight
Innova 12x Star Wraiths, 166 & 167 g, tailwind and long turnovers
Innova DX Valkyrie, 175 g, rollers (which I suck at)

I would recommend the following in their perspective orders:
Headwinds and hyzers: Spirit, Predator, Firebird.
Max D Forehands: Illusion, Force, PD, Destroyer, Boss, Spirit
Straight: Blurr, Force, Wraith(Heavier), PD
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby disc junkie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Fullbag wrote:One of my biggest problems are the Wasps. I just don't feel them to be that comfortable and often have early releases. However it's a lot easier to manipulate the distance with them than it is with Buzzzes. Are there any good beadless (over)stable midrange discs out there that could replace Wasp? Preferably in Z/Champion plastic.

I too never like the grip on the Wasp and was in search for the type of mid you are talking about until I found the Gateway Warrior (Retooled Element X)

I HIGHLY recommend the Gateway E Warrior with a flatter top (not the poppy top). It does have a bead but it is also one of the most comfortable discs that I have ever gripped.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Beetard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:16 am

Well if you wanted all *(star) drivers, maybe a *TL and a *leo for stable and understable control drivers, a *RR and an *orc could serve as understable and overstable distance drivers. The orc for max D forehands too. and then a *firebird or esp predator for your very overstable disc.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Craig Smolin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Just as a dissenting opinion, I love my Z Wasp as an overstable complement to my Z and D Buzzzes. It flies like a KC Pro Roc, just in a plastic that I can actually feel and grip. I've been throwing it all of 2008, and it is still overstable. I've got another one that is a few years old, that does flip, but only into the strongest of headwinds.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Fullbag » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:47 am

disc junkie wrote:I too never like the grip on the Wasp and was in search for the type of mid you are talking about until I found the Gateway Warrior (Retooled Element X)

I HIGHLY recommend the Gateway E Warrior with a flatter top (not the poppy top). It does have a bead but it is also one of the most comfortable discs that I have ever gripped.

I might have to give the Warrior a try next time I order stuff. I've also thought about beadless Gators as one option.

Beetard wrote:Well if you wanted all *(star) drivers, maybe a *TL and a *leo for stable and understable control drivers, a *RR and an *orc could serve as understable and overstable distance drivers. The orc for max D forehands too. and then a *firebird or esp predator for your very overstable disc.

I thought of getting Leopards and TeeBirds in Star and replacing Banshees with something like a Firebird or a Predator. I could still use my Wraiths and put a First run Echo Star XCaliber into the bag.

BLURR wrote:I would recommend the following in their perspective orders:
Headwinds and hyzers: Spirit, Predator, Firebird.
Max D Forehands: Illusion, Force, PD, Destroyer, Boss, Spirit
Straight: Blurr, Force, Wraith(Heavier), PD

I really haven't tried any other disc from Gateway than a Wizard so I could get a few of those to try. But at the moment I'm leaning more towards a Boss, XCaliber or a Champ Destroyer for headwinds and forehands. They're no meat hooks but with enough hyzer they can all fight most of the winds. And for straight shots I am trying out a DD (Discmania) and a heavier Star Wraith. So I'll see what I'll stick to in the end.
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:49 pm

To replace the z wasp you could try a max weight champ shark. It's beadless and flies just about the same as rocs do, (mebbe a little less glide). my suggestion as far as the overstable stuff goes would be to keep the banshee, grab a lighter weight champ for added headwind distance and your overstable slot is taken care of. Just my 2 cents.

edit: I do love me some firebirds though. So if the banshee just doesn't do it for you then check out the firechicken.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion