End of '08 set-up

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

End of '08 set-up

Postby swan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:46 am

Snow golf will change things a bit, but here's what I'm carrying into '09. First time I've ever posted my soldiers for review. Comments/suggestions welcomed.

Stable Control Drivers:
175 Star Valk (seasoned nicely, still comes back)

Distance Drivers:
175 Pro Destroyer (big S shots, newish which means it's also useful as a wind driver for me)
167 Pro Wraith (flips up nice and goes)

Understable Drivers:
170 Star Roadrunner (big annys, big hyzer-flips with enough room)
172 Champ Monarch (beating him down to roller status, like this disc a lot)

Fairway Drivers:
175 Champ Viking (great disc, arrow straight)
175 Pro Leopard (control from 300-ish)
167 Star Leopard (beaten severely, rollers)
175 Star TeeBird (overstable, skippy)

Very Overstable Driver:
175 Star TeeRex (only comes out on windy days)

Mids:
177 FLX Drone (great overstable mid, wind)
178 ESP Wasp (kind of like a Drone with more glide)
177 ESP Buzzz (so straight, flip-ups if needed)
177 X Buzzz (select annys)

Putters:
175 SS Wizard (seasoned perfectly, $$ from 200-250)
175 Glo Wizard (newer, can shape it)
175 Star Aviar (wind)
175 Star Aviar (seasoned well, all putts)

I think mids are a big part of my bag and I love the Discraft combo. I've been auditioning a couple Element-X and they're solid. Not ready for full-time action though.

Any recommendations/confirmations?
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.
swan
Noob

Re: End of '08 set-up

Postby pointdisc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Broken down (as I see it) from a minimalist

Stable Control Drivers
Pro Leopard? - based off your description. Add some DX Teebirds and you can cycle them in & they'll fill Stable Control, Mod. Overstable, & understable (I prefer Eagle-X's though)

Distance Drivers
Monarch, Wraith, Viking, Destroyer, Valkyrie - pick one or two. The Valk/Vik are too similar so drop one or the other, I'd suggest Wraith and varying stages of wear

Understable Drivers
Star Leopard, Roadrunner - drop one. Get Teebirds (or Eagles) beaten to fill this role

Moderately Overstable Drivers
Teebird - keep the current star

Very Overstable
Teerex - maybe a pred/firebird instead

Mids
Drone, Wasp, Buzzes - if the Wasp is "kind of like a drone w/ more glide", get a max Z-wasp & drop the drone

Putters
Wizards & Aviars
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby swan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:13 pm

pointdisc wrote:Broken down (as I see it) from a minimalist

Stable Control Drivers
Pro Leopard? - based off your description. Add some DX Teebirds and you can cycle them in & they'll fill Stable Control, Mod. Overstable, & understable (I prefer Eagle-X's though)
I've given this approach a lot of thought, but I haven't settled on a mold I like enough yet. Makes total sense once you have the right disc.

Distance Drivers
Monarch, Wraith, Viking, Destroyer, Valkyrie - pick one or two. The Valk/Vik are too similar so drop one or the other, I'd suggest Wraith and varying stages of wear
Valk-Vik are very similar. Valk would stay. Monarch has future plans as a roller and is being abused accordingly. Honestly, I'm still learning the nuances of wide-rimmed drivers. The Destroyer and Wraith are what were recommended to learn with. One will likely be phased out as the other becomes more and more dependable.

Understable Drivers
Star Leopard, Roadrunner - drop one. Get Teebirds (or Eagles) beaten to fill this role
It would take a while, but I get your point. RR stays for big annys. Dependable everytime.

Moderately Overstable Drivers
Teebird - keep the current star
Great technical disc for me. Turns hard, but I can get it out there when needed.

Very Overstable
Teerex - maybe a pred/firebird instead
What's the reason for this?

Mids
Drone, Wasp, Buzzes - if the Wasp is "kind of like a drone w/ more glide", get a max Z-wasp & drop the drone
You know how hard it was to get that Drone? :) I see where you're going. ESP > Z for me.

Putters
Wizards & Aviars

The SS Wizard might go into putting-only mode soon if I can find a nice 6-7 replacement. The stiffness of the SS is really hit and miss.

Thanks for the reply pd. I appreciate the input. I definitely see the reasoning behind the one-mold idea. DXes are cheap and would reach the ideal levels of beatedness the fasest. I might give that a go to see how it works for me.
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.
swan
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 am

I suggested the Firebird/Predator over the Teerex is that they're better wind fighting discs, but if the Trx fits that spot for you by all means use it!

If you don't want to spend time beating in some DX, hit up your local PIAS and dig through their used bin, you'll find some that should be in different stages of wear, or go with at TL for a less stable T-Bird.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion