Critique this Am's bag please

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique this Am's bag please

Postby Cyan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello DGR! I've been lurking this board for a year or so (the length of my discing career), and it's helped me more than I can describe.

For reference, I'm getting my TeeBirds out to 280-320, Rocs to 255-290 (recently switched to them and working on consistency).

1. Stable Control Drivers
2x DX Gazelle (workhorses) ~165g

2. Distance Drivers
2x DX TeeBird ~170

3. Understable Driver
The Beaten of the two Gazelles
E Assassin (beat) 173g

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Ch. Teebird 170g

5. Very Overstable Driver
Z Avenger (domey) 170g

Mids:
2x DX Roc ~167g

Putters:
S Wizard 175g (seasoned)
SS Wizard 174g
Glow Magic 174g

The Avenger is an absolute pig and I can't see anything more stable being useful at my current skill level.

I'd like to see thoughts on:

1. Adding another gazelle in either dx or KCpro (recommendations?)
2. Adding a midrange. My Rocs aren't worn enough to turnover (Comet?), and I used to love the Gator-x for 100-200ft technical approaches.
3. How a range of E Assassins and/or dx Eagle-x's would affect this bag as I improve
Cyan
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Gazelle

Re: Critique this Am's bag please

Postby marmoset » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Cyan wrote:I'd like to see thoughts on:

2. Adding a midrange. My Rocs aren't worn enough to turnover (Comet?), and I used to love the Gator-x for 100-200ft technical approaches.
3. How a range of E Assassins and/or dx Eagle-x's would affect this bag as I improve

Your bag look appropriate, well thought out, and complete. Good job.

1. I don't know what a third GZ will give you unless you have one new semi-overstable, one used for straight shots and one beat for turnovers. DX is great (as you already know)... I have never thrown KC Pro GZs so I can't comment here.

2. You can't go wrong with a Comet. If you learn to throw a Comet well then every other disc will fly "better" (should be read as "truer"). Comets will do almost any shot you need, long or short. Take this recommendation with a grain of salt because I LOVE Comets. Rocs are great, too, but you already knew that. For turnovers you should:
A) learn to throw your Rocs anhyzer
B) beat in a Roc
C) get a Comet

I listed the Comet last because the "throw money at it 'till its fixed" approach doesn't work as well for solving problems at disc golf as it does for other things.

3. I have a little experience with Assassins and and more with EXs but I will let someone more knowledgeable answer this question.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby mark12b » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:10 pm

don't bother with gazelles in anything except dx, it just messes up the cycle (when your sweet-spot gazelle starts going understable you'll want a newish dx gazelle that's just starting to lose its fade, and if you're throwing a premium plastic gazelle in the overstable spot then you won't have that when you need it). for the turnover midrange you might like an ontario roc until a rancho gets understable enough.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BeSquared » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:06 am

Solid bag! Well done.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby garublador » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 am

Cyan wrote:The Avenger is an absolute pig and I can't see anything more stable being useful at my current skill level.
As you improve this will change. I'll bet that you wouldn't see a huge difference between a Z Avenger and Z Pred right now anyway.

I'd like to see thoughts on:

1. DX fo' sho'.

2. I'd just keep throwing the Rocs until they beat up. It will go faster if you don't add a more understable disc. It's not difficult to torque over a Roc or throw one anhzyer when needed they're good skills to have anyway. In other words, you can do marmoset's A and B simultaneously.

3.The Eagles would replace the Gazelles. The Assassin would be a good introductory (or possibly permanant) distance driver, kind of like a Valk.
Last edited by garublador on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby chunk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:36 am

nice bag and similar to mine. i would difinitely add another dx gazelle if you like the disc. i'm carrying 1 new, 1 beat straight, and 1 beat overstable. also if you like the way the rocs feel keep the two and take the one that is more beat and make it more beat.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion