What I think...challenging the "sticky"

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What I think...challenging the "sticky"

Postby Fritz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

I agree with what Brad is saying. Very good points.

Another problem too, is if you live in a high elevation state, your stable disc might be straight, understable to others.

I like the idea of just listing out your bag, and putting a note on the side of each disc for what you use it for, broken down into the categories. DRiver, Fairway, Mid, Putter.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 pm

After spending the weekend with Blake and discussing discs, I am going to stand by my assertion.

Although, I never specifically addressed this thread with Blake, I do believe that we would agree that the DISTANCE DRIVER catagory has expanded greatly in the last few years, and is, by far the most abused.

True disc minimalism stresses the minimum number of molds, and throwing the discs that only fit your ability. Less is more.

Just look at what Dave Dunipace is talking about doing with his stabilization process. This would be true simplicity. One mold per catagory.

This could easily be my bag.

Distance (420 flat shot)
3 Wraiths

Fairway (380 flat shot)
3 Teebirds

Mid (340 flat shot)
3 Rocs

Putter
2 Warlocks

Add a crazy overstable trick shot/spike hyser disc, and you are done.

I simply do not see how this listing does not perfectly define the modern disc golf bag in an incremental fashion that builds on itself. This building on itself is something that is lacking in the other format. This listing makes the function of each disc clearly defined to the novice and advanced player alike.

As stated before, this is how most GREAT players' bags are structured. Why would you not teach everyone to mimic the really good players?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby steezo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I understand completely. I'ved gone back to this bag.
dx bb aviars-3
dx/kc pro rocs-3
star leopard-1
dx teebirds-3
star starfire-1
champ destroyers-2
star max-1
14 discs
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby cmlasley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

You almost described my bag: 1 Pred, 3 OLFs, 3 Teebirds, 3 Rocs, 4 Wizards.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Although, I never specifically addressed this thread with Blake, I do believe that we would agree that the DISTANCE DRIVER catagory has expanded greatly in the last few years, and is, by far the most abused.
First, that has nothing to do with why either format is better or worse. You're just making obvious points that have nothing to do with changing the sticky and then claiming they support your format. They don't.

If you think you're so superior, get him to change the article. If he does that I'll agree that format is a better choice. Otherwise you have given zero reasons why your method is better. You just prefer it.

Here is an example of some actual reasons why the format in the sticky is superior. Notice how they actually address why the format is better:

The reason for the sticky is to have a quick way of showing whether or not the person has read and understood the overlap article. If they haven't, the best advice will always either be "Read the overlap article," or will contain information from the overlap article. It also gets rid of all of the descriptions of what each disc is used for. Rather than having to read that, you can easily tell by the category each disc is listed under whether or not it's seeing the best use. It's much more efficient. Your way just shows that they've browsed the Innova website, which also claims that there are speed 10 discs that are good first drivers.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cmlasley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 pm

garublador wrote:The reason for the sticky is to have a quick way of showing whether or not the person has read and understood the overlap article.

This is a good reason. I just hate that the preferred format is not in what I consider a logical arrangement.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm

garublador wrote:The reason for the sticky is to have a quick way of showing whether or not the person has read and understood the overlap article.

Well, for some reason you seem to think the sole reason for this forum is to compare everyone's bag to this one single article.

I don't.

I am not even sure Blake thinks that either.

The forum is to discuss bags and help people's games, not compare everyone's bag to one article.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby corey115 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:As stated before, this is how most GREAT players' bags are structured. Why would you not teach everyone to mimic the really good players?

I think Blake's overlap idea focuses on players learning the game. Players that need to learn the fundamentals.

A noob just isnt gonna benefit from your idea, many players would though, but the idealogy of this site is to help improve other players' games, and I think thats what Blake's idea tries to do.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion