Help removing another mold.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help removing another mold.

Postby practically invincible » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:43 pm

I pulled my monarchs since I have a well beat orc which makes similar shots and I'd like to ditch the starfires as well.

Over Stable
175g Star Monster (edit, sorry)

Pro-Stable
175g Star Starfire
167g Star Starfire

Distance
2x 168-9g Champ Orcs

Understable
168g Champ Orc (beat to snot)

Control Drivers
175g Star Eage
168G Star Eagle
168g Star Eagle (worn in alot)

Mids
174g Z Wasp
175g ESP Wasp

Putters
175g Black Soft Wizard (bad weaher/wind)
165g Soft Wizard (drives/jump putting)
2x 170g SSS Wizard (general putting inside the circle)

What do you think overall? And Would a lightweight Monster or a Star Orc be able to fill the starfires spots? I use the SF's for hyzer lines big skippers and gradual flex shots. All input greatly appreciated
Last edited by practically invincible on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Re: Help removing another mold.

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:52 pm

I think it looks good. I wouldn't worry about removing another mold. If you really wanted to though, you could get some of those test run orcs that are more stable and get rid of your starfires or you could just beat in some starfires to an extreme level and drop the orcs.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:55 pm

my 2 cents..

I've been using the Orc/Starfire set-up for a while now on my distance drives, and think it's a great combo. If I was dead-set on getting rid of one of them, I'd axe the Orc and start beating in some more Starfires. Otherwise, I'd say keep both...you can cover the full spectrum of distance shots with those 2 molds.

The current set-up looks pretty good to me. The only thing I'd consider changing is the Maxx...maybe try something a little slower for more control. I used to carry a Max and a Firebird, but ended up ditching the Max. The FB is more easily controlled for me...
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby practically invincible » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I was looking at my roommates bag when i wrote that and got confused... it's a monster, not a max. Sorry guys. He's a monster. He throws Max, Destroyer, Wraith, Boss, Banshees, Buzzz's and Aviars. But I beat him every time. Hit the lines. Not the D
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby corey115 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Bag looks good, you don't have to get rid of the starfires, but if you must, you could get a heavy/beefy orc, but it makes sense having them both

I'd also change the max to a slower very overstable disc, like Pred of FB, because the main duty of a V.O. Driver is for hyzers/controllablity, so the max's speed/wide rim are useless
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby practically invincible » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 pm

The monster (not a max) is staying. I played in 20mph winds at Edora today and had many great shots with it. I loved it. The starfires aren't quite enough in the wind for me anymore. They occasionally just go away forever, without a hint of fade.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:11 pm

I've found the Orc and Starfire to overlap, depending on the exact disc you have.

Every Star Orc I've had that was either dark blue or red (solid colors / fairly stiff / kinda domey) have been more stable than the other Star Orcs I've thrown. Also, if you can find them, a heavy 1st run Champ Orc (flat/pearly) is very stable when new.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:13 pm

practically invincible wrote:I was looking at my roommates bag when i wrote that and got confused... it's a monster, not a max. Sorry guys. He's a monster.

Looks like you're all set then :D
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby BeSquared » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Solid bag, I like it. I have not much luck with Starfires, they are a bit too stable for me. I love the orcs though. Not too many molds, I like it.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby practically invincible » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:33 pm

I felt the same way about the SF's for a long time until my speed/power was up to their liking. Now I use them when i need D but not alot of turn to the right.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that you could probably replace the Orcs with DX or beat Star Starfires. IMO, the Starfire-X is a better "minimalist" disc than the Orc because it starts more overstable but wears in well. I haven't liked the beat Orcs I've tried.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:06 pm

After looking at your bag it looks pretty good, but I would make the following adjustment

Drop the Star Starfires

Pick up a Star Orc.

That way you have all your bases covered with the Orc mold.

I would add an extra midrange in your bag too. Something understable like an S-Element, Pro D Buzzz, Pro D Comet, Coyote, ESP Meteor.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby practically invincible » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:18 pm

I was kinda feelin the same way with the SF/Orc dilemna... the SF will come out tonight i think. there's a beat up buzz that i use for understable if i think i might need it. usually i throw the Wiz anny, or flick a wasp. i'll have my buzzz for serious play just in case.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion