Bag Overhaul help needed

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Overhaul help needed

Postby zach » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm trying to overhaul my bag since I'm not really happy with any of it.
RHBH, not sure how far or how much power. JLS flies dead straight for me, and Valkyrie gives a pretty big s-curve (probably not quite stable enough for days I'm throwing well).

Had been using:

Drivers:
172 JLS Newish (I'm getting the most distance out of this one)
Low 170s JLS (trashed: mostly for anhyzer holes)
168 Champ Valkyrie (I'm using this for hyzer shots where I'm not putting too much on it)

Mid:
172 DX Shark (slightly beat in)
Low 170s DX Roc (trashed)

Putt:
Low 170s DX Aviar (pretty trashed) (I think it is the Putt and Approach version)

My problems is I can't adjust the distance well with the shark. For me, it doesn't like to be thrown without much spin, but then glides to far with spin.
I hate the sharp underside on the aviar, catches my fingers on release too often.
For the drivers, nothing is too wrong, but it'd like to find something I can throw when I get tired. The new JLS is fine, but I can't put anything on it if I've played too many rounds in a few days. I'm hoping either the lighter QJLS or XL will give me better distance when I can't get the power.
I've also been using the beat JLS for long approaches and L to R holes, but it tends to glide too far as an approach, and won't take an anhyzer as well as I'd like.

I just got several more discs to try out.
163-QJLS
165 DX XL
166 DX Eclipse

165 X Buzzz

170 DX Banger
172 X Putt'r

My thinking was I'll be able to replace:
the Shark and Roc with the Buzzz
Beat up JLS with the Eclipse
I'll keep some combination of JLS, QJLS, XL, and Valkyrie for Stable and Overstable drivers.
Use the Banger for approches since the Aviar won't hold any edge (I've been using the Shark for these). I've tried a buddies Putt'r and really like the feel. I'll probably still keep the Aviar for dead straight steep down hill holes until the Banger settles downs.

Do these changes seem reasonable?
zach
Noob

Re: Bag Overhaul help needed

Postby coldy13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Looks good, I'd ditch the extra putters and just keep the one that feels best to you. The x buzz will beat up and get understable quick, maybe get a esp or z buzz for longer/headwind midrange shots. There's nothing really stable in your bag either, an eagle or olf I think would make the bag complete. So one putter, 2 buzzes, jls, valk, and olf should cover about every shot you need.
Sinus AP-Magic-River-XXX-Striker-Vision-Halo
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: striker

Postby corey115 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:23 pm

coldy13 wrote:Looks good, I'd ditch the extra putters and just keep the one that feels best to you. The x buzz will beat up and get understable quick, maybe get a esp or z buzz for longer/headwind midrange shots. There's nothing really stable in your bag either, an eagle or olf I think would make the bag complete. So one putter, 2 buzzes, jls, valk, and olf should cover about every shot you need.

a buzzz isnt the best headwind disc, unless its a cryztal or 1st run
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Are you using a champ valk as an overstable driver? If so, Id go with a dx or champ teebird. It will be overstable for a long time and the dx would eventually beat into your longest driver...which is when you should get another one. With the JLS's you dont need a champ valk until you are throwing 330 at will. You beat JLSs fly like a valk should but on slightly shorter lines because your power isnt quite there yet for the valks...dont worry, it will be one day but Id suggest a dx or star valk when it does.

With those discs my bag would be:

dx aviar for putts
beat dx roc for mid range shots
JLSs in various stages or wear for drives

and since you dont have a good overstable disc I would go get a champ teebird
I would also get a fresh dx roc of the same weight.

Boom thats a solid bag.

Leave the champ valk at home for now. It will only piss you off. The JLS will probably be longer for you anyway just on a slightly higher line.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby zach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice.

As for the putter, aviar is out, hate the feel for short puts, but I may see if I can throw the putt'r far enough to only use it and ditch the banger and aviar all together. If the X Putt'r won't work for short approaches, would the Putt'r in Z plastic be any better (my impression was they are a little stiffer), that would at least get me down to one mold for putters if not one putter.

I'll keep the roc in the bag till I either break in the buzzz and get a Z Buzzz or decide I like the roc better.

As for the Valkyrie, I looked again and it is actually a DX (hadn't used it much recently, forgot what it was). I use it as overstable mostly because it holds a hyzer angle better than the JLS, but if I put a lot on it, it fades right, sets up, and comes back to lands pretty much straight in front of me. I may try it again and see how it works on some of the more open holes (it is mostly wooded courses near me). If I'm throwing the valkyrie correctly, what path should it be taking? If it isn't going to go farther than the JLS anyway is there much point it getting it nailed down? Should it go farther if I'm throwing it correctly? If I'm not going to throw the Valkyrie I may keep it in the bag as a roller so I don't mangle my newer drivers (or would the Eclipse or XL I've got laying around do better for that, I use a RHFH roller).

There is really only one truly open hole near me, so I may throw both the JLSs and the Valkyrie a few times and walk off the distances to see how far I'm actually throwing them.

For the next while I'm going to head out with this:

163-QJLS: New
172-JLS: Not too old
172-JLS: trashed

X Buzzz: New
DX Roc: Trashed

D Banger-GT
X Putt'r

And something for a roller
Last edited by zach on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zach
Noob

Postby garublador » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am

I will very strongly recommend against the Putt'r. It will only introduce the possibility (actually, high probability) of loosing strokes without the benefit of ever gaining strokes. It's not stable enough to even reliably approach with and it horrid in any wind. If you get far enough out that the extra carry you get from it actually matters, then there's a really good chance you'll miss and it will carry past the basket even farther. Learning all of those shots with a disc like the Banger is much more benefitial.

Use it for catch with a friend as a warm up, but keep it out of the bag for golfing.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Beetard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Wise words from garublador. If you don't like the aviar P&A, you could try a magnet. It feels a little differnt as it has a small bead.

Wizards have a larger bead than magnets and the rim doesn't feel sharp at all. Go somewhere that you can actually hand-pick one and get a nice chalky/rubbery S wizard. 168-170 g will probably be the weight most to your liking.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby zach » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:42 pm

After the advice about the putter I decided to leave the putt'r at home. Banger isn't dropping into the cage super easy, but I've not been putting great the last few weeks anyway.
Also a buddy gave me an old broken in Polaris LS that I'm really liking for an understable driver.
I'm also loving the Buzzz. It is still too overstable for me to get it to go L to R on longer shots (once it breaks in I'll probably get a Z). Overall I'm loving it. I really like to feel of the larger disc.

So until the Buzzz breaks in and I get a second, I'm only carrying.

163 QJLS-New (seems plenty overstable as an overstable driver till it breaks in more)
172 JLS
Polaris LS

X Buzzz

D Banger

Last few rounds I've also been trying to use the Buzzz more and the JLSs less. I'm getting less distance and fewer birdies, but I also hit a lot fewer trees and got fewer bogeys and doubles (the out of town course I hit on the way back from a trip was long and wooded and I think I only used the JLS three times, and that was two more than I probably should have, still stomped the guy with me that refused to put the driver away even though he usually beats me pretty handily).
zach
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 am

zach wrote:After the advice about the putter I decided to leave the putt'r at home. Banger isn't dropping into the cage super easy, but I've not been putting great the last few weeks anyway.
Also a buddy gave me an old broken in Polaris LS that I'm really liking for an understable driver.
I'm also loving the Buzzz. It is still too overstable for me to get it to go L to R on longer shots (once it breaks in I'll probably get a Z). Overall I'm loving it. I really like to feel of the larger disc.

So until the Buzzz breaks in and I get a second, I'm only carrying.

163 QJLS-New (seems plenty overstable as an overstable driver till it breaks in more)
172 JLS
Polaris LS

X Buzzz

D Banger

Last few rounds I've also been trying to use the Buzzz more and the JLSs less. I'm getting less distance and fewer birdies, but I also hit a lot fewer trees and got fewer bogeys and doubles (the out of town course I hit on the way back from a trip was long and wooded and I think I only used the JLS three times, and that was two more than I probably should have, still stomped the guy with me that refused to put the driver away even though he usually beats me pretty handily).

Having been surprised by how low speed overstable my 175 QJLS run 1.6 is I'm interested how much your 163 fades in comparison to your JLS? And how worn your JLS is?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 am

The QJLS is much much more overstable than the JLS, but the JLS has hit a lot of trees. It was initially fading too hard for me and I wasn't using it much. Then a friend forgot his disks on two different occasions and used it on three rounds of two different wooded courses. That was enough, by the end he couldn't keep it from flipping on him, perfect for me, goes dead straight. Practically no low speed fade. Not sure how long the QJLS will take, only hit a few trees so far.
zach
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 am

zach wrote:The QJLS is much much more overstable than the JLS, but the JLS has hit a lot of trees. It was initially fading too hard for me and I wasn't using it much. Then a friend forgot his disks on two different occasions and used it on three rounds of two different wooded courses. That was enough, by the end he couldn't keep it from flipping on him, perfect for me, goes dead straight. Practically no low speed fade. Not sure how long the QJLS will take, only hit a few trees so far.

That's how I thought the difference is based on seeing a JLS fly thrown by another person. Plenty of tree whacking perhaps some tuning then for me :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion