Should I use a bag?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Should I use a bag?

Postby coldy13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:56 pm

I've been playing for around 4 years, the first year a went about once a week, then didn't go very much, and this past summer I went about twice a week. I'll be playing in my first tournament on saturday, the columbus ice bowl, and the 6" of snow we just got will still be there :) Until this last summer I only threw drives forehand, I can throw them accurately to 350 and max out around 400, I can flick any disc I have, from putters to x-cal to 100m lazer(crazy understable). I started reading this site this summer and learned to throw backhand and now I get the same d and consistency as my forehand drives. I have these discs-

172 primitus
171 164 mirus
176 core
178 medius
171 riot
175 162 solf 1.1
171 100m lazer
168 epic
173 esp venom
171 d venom
171 z flick
173 rogue
174 d drone
171 star xcalibur
150 dx destroyer
171 champ orc
171 rhyno
175 trancend
175 crosshair

I don't have a disc bag so normally I just take 4-5 discs- crosshair, core, 2 solf's or mirus's, and a venom, x-cal, or flick if it's really windy. So should I stick with a small amount of discs, or just toss all of 'em in my soccer bag and use the specialty discs instead of sometimes trying to shape lines the discs don't like to fly on?
Sinus AP-Magic-River-XXX-Striker-Vision-Halo
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: striker

Re: Should I use a bag?

Postby corey115 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

If you feel like it would improve your game, get a bag and carry more than 5 discs.

Most people find it necessary to have 10+ discs to fully play to their potential.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby mark12b » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

in a tournament it's pretty nice to have something to carry stuff like drinks, snacks, extra clothes, etc.. whether or not you toss a few specialty discs in too is up to you.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby coldy13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:00 pm

I'll bring my soccer bag either way for dry socks, clothes and drinks but I've never had more than 5 discs on the course and I don't know if more will help me or if I'll just think more about the discs instead of how to throw them
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm

well, there's nothing at all wrong with keeping it simple... the other way to go would be to just have a backup or two, in case you lose a key disc, since the fewer discs you carry the more important each one is.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby corey115 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm

once you can learn good form and line shaping, then it begins to make more sense to carry more discs, as you will know how to be able to use them effectively
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby black udder » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:37 am

coldy13 wrote:I'll bring my soccer bag either way for dry socks, clothes and drinks but I've never had more than 5 discs on the course and I don't know if more will help me or if I'll just think more about the discs instead of how to throw them

If you know your discs and what you're going to throw off the tee, then adding more discs shouldn't change anything. I agree with the backup idea - If you find yourself on a tee wondering which disc to throw, remind yourself about what you normally do without those other discs and it should be fairly clear to you what you need to throw.

I carry quite a few discs, but some of the reason is because I don't want to completely demolish one disc by using it all the time. I have some discs that when thrown do something that a new one doesn't, so I'd like to keep it in that condition for awhile. Thus, I carry a new one and a used one. If you look at one of the Roc threads, you'll see that it's quite popular with that disc, but it's not exclusive to that disc. I also carry some specialty discs that I won't throw much, but if given a situation, it's exactly what I need. If you're not bothering about score much, then there isn't as much concern for your shots. If you're keeping score and attempting to hit a specific line, then sometimes, one disc just may enable you to do it better than another.

Big this it to have fun and reduce stress though. I'd carry the discs you know the best and feel the most confident with and maybe toss in a backup or 2 for your primary driving discs just in case of a worst case scenario.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby coldy13 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm

I decided to take all the discs, but after the first round I took out 10 of 'em. The tourney was 2 rounds of 18, and those were the worst 2 rounds I've played in over a year. I parked a few baskets, and made a couple 30-50' putts, but I also missed quite a few from 15-20' and thew 2 drives OB in the 1st round. The 10deg air and 6" snow had more to do with it than anything. I've got a lightning bag and some extras on the way, I think my new bag will be-

new 171, beat 164 mirus -straight and understable
175, 162 solf - overstable and straight
173 ESP venom for tumbers and tommys
171 Z flick for crazy overstable escape shots

176 core
174 d drone, 2 Z drones on the way :)

Still deciding on a putter, gotta take my basket back from my friend and test out the sinus, spike, wizard, rhyno, crosshair and aviar. I seem to putt equally well with the rhyno, crosshair, and aviar, but I can't seem to throw a good approach with any of 'em.
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:51 pm

For a time I played using a beat up backpack I got as a hand-out at a conference. It was beat up, but held 5-6 discs in one packet, and up to 2 6-packs in the main pocket, which was nice. But my desire to have more discs soon began to compete with my desire to have more discs on the course.

My lady noticed the absurdity of this situation long before I did (women usually do, don't they?), and bought me a PDGA tour bag for Christmas...I love it! I pack about 15 discs for a round, and can simultaneously carry a 6-pack in the big side pockets and part of the interior as well as some proper water in the insulated side pouch. This is a killer set up and a huge improvement.

It isn't the end game for me though. I've seen some cool rigs out on the course, many based on jogging strollers and set up with disc holders and even tunes. So I went on craigslist and found a killer jogging stroller for $20...it is collapsible, has bmx tires, and has parking brakes and all. So I plan to mount my 2-case capacity cooler onto it for extra long days/outings to several courses. My PDGA bag will also readily attach to it, along with collapsible camping stools that can be pulled out when there are long waits sans benches. I might even figure out a way to have a little table drop down from it for munchie breaks and such.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:05 am

JHern wrote:For a time I played using a beat up backpack I got as a hand-out at a conference. It was beat up, but held 5-6 discs in one packet, and up to 2 6-packs in the main pocket, which was nice. But my desire to have more discs soon began to compete with my desire to have more discs on the course.

My lady noticed the absurdity of this situation long before I did (women usually do, don't they?), and bought me a PDGA tour bag for Christmas...I love it! I pack about 15 discs for a round, and can simultaneously carry a 6-pack in the big side pockets and part of the interior as well as some proper water in the insulated side pouch. This is a killer set up and a huge improvement.

It isn't the end game for me though. I've seen some cool rigs out on the course, many based on jogging strollers and set up with disc holders and even tunes. So I went on craigslist and found a killer jogging stroller for $20...it is collapsible, has bmx tires, and has parking brakes and all. So I plan to mount my 2-case capacity cooler onto it for extra long days/outings to several courses. My PDGA bag will also readily attach to it, along with collapsible camping stools that can be pulled out when there are long waits sans benches. I might even figure out a way to have a little table drop down from it for munchie breaks and such.

If you could tote around a grill with it you'd be the man!
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Coldpunk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 am

Several friends I throw with have these attached to the front of their bags with carabiners. They're great little stools, and they make a handy little table for mixing bourbon and vanilla cokes. :mrgreen:
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby coldy13 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 pm

My home course has benches at nearly every tee, and a table at hole 10, but I might pick up one of those folding chairs anyway since I plan to play a lot more courses this year. The stroller idea is awesome, someone actually brought one to the ice bowl, but I didn't see it on the course since I bet it wouldn't roll in the snow. There were 2 groups that had a sled and just put all their bags on it, which is what I'll be doing at next years ice bowl.

I've got a fair amount of putting/approaching with all my putters now, and so far the sinus ap is defiantly at the top. The spike, crosshair and aviar are really close to the same stability and I love putting with any of 'em in low/no winds. The wizard flies great, I see why everyone here has a hard on for them, but I just can't get used to the bead, and I never throw a putter off the tee anyway since the deeper rim likes to stick to my finger just a bit too long unless I consciously release it, which kills the snap.

So my bag for this year(or until the new latitude 64 drivers replace everything in my bag) will be

Putter-
171 sinus ap

Mids-
176 core
178 z drone

Drivers-
175, 162 SOLF 1.1
171, 164 mirus

Specialty/escape/max d/thumbers/tommys/crazy winds
173 esp venom
171 genesis
171 *xc